Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Home Brew Sediment Catcher

Just stumbled across these on trade me. Just curious what some fellow brewers thought about them.

Experiences, rate them/dont rate them.

Would appreciate some feedback!

Cheers

Views: 2445

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"When people give you 15 in a CS ;p"

Ill ban you if you drink my beer from the bottle ;o) hahaha, but seriously, beer should be drunk from a glass so all those delicious aroma's are released for maximum enjoyment!!

Aww, I see. I thought you were having a dig at us lowly non-keggers ;0)
Haha, whilst you are lowly, I wouldnt dig at that ;o) LOL

we cant do everything ideally, such as crash chill for a week

Yea, but that's still no excuse for getting a cm or so of sediment in the bottom of most bottles .. unless you're way too eager. I've bottled earlier than I should when I'm too excited to wait a decent time and never managed that much ?

Really? Hmm, interesting, but definately my results JT - perhaps the colder welly weather are helping your yeast flocculate more?

Also, bearing in mind I was BIAB'ing with no mash adjustment back when I was bottling, so my beer was like milk!

I think it's the BIAB method. I definitely get yeast sediment when I bottle, probably not a cm but a good coating across the whole of the bottom of the bottle. That's after being in the fermenter for 2 weeks. I did two brews a couple of weeks ago, one for me (BIAB) and one for Mark with his mash tun method, noticeably clearer wort went into Mark's fermenter. 

Is one better than the other? Well we'll know in a week or so at the next WBC comp!

"Is one better than the other?"

Everyone knows BIAB makes tastier beer than traditional :oP

perhaps the colder welly weather are helping your yeast flocculate more?

Certainly is today !

Also, bearing in mind I was BIAB'ing with no mash adjustment back when I was bottling, so my beer was like milk!

Care to elaborate a little further there Rev, I have just done my first BIAB on the weekend and am very intrigued by what you mean there.

As in no PH adjustment, no salts or anything, just straight grain and water..

With BIAB if you don't adjust the mash PH your beer will take a lifetime to clear, with a simple PH adjustment with some citric acid or something similar the clarity improves dramatically!!

I too have justbottled my first BIAB and notice that it was incrediable cloudy.

So is there a method to doing this, can I just chuck a teaspoon of citric acid or cream of tartar in the water before I do my BIAB mash?

I'd get a cheap pH meter from DSE if I were you, and adjust the pH of your mash to 5.5 - 5.2 after mashing in. It's the only true way to get an accurate pH adjustment on your mash. Adding in Gypsum, Chalk and CaCl2 in combination with the types of malt in your mash will have an effect on your final pH result as well.

With a pH meter, all you have to do is mash in.... poke it in..... acidify (if necessary).... done.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service