Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Anyone wanna help me put together an NZPA recipe?

I'm thinking of brewing a New Zealand Pale Ale for the next batch (with all the talk of the NZ Lager in the other thread, got me thinking).

From the added styles for the SOBA comp - http://www.soba.org.nz/files/New%20Zealand%20Styles.pdf

"The style is characterised by New
Zealand and New World (i.e. not English, European or American) hops used to produce
medium to high hop bitterness, flavour, and aroma."

I've never used any of the NZ hop varieties nor had many beers with them. Limburg Hopsmacker is probably the only one and that was quite a while ago.

Any ideas of how much or which to use for aroma and flavour additions? I'd like to use Sauvin, Motueka or Riwaka or a combination of two or all three.

"New Zealand and New World pale
ales have medium body and low to medium maltiness. Low caramel character is
allowable."

Was thinking of 4.3kg Barrett Burston, 0.3kg Caramalt, and 0.1kg Crystal malt (I've used this in a couple of APA's and quite like it). And/Or the addition of a little Munich or Vienna like the yanks use in their's sometimes?

"Fruity-ester flavour and aroma should be moderate to strong. DMS should not
be evident, and diacetyl (if present) should be low and in balance."

I only have access to the popular dry yeasts at the moment but would look into a liquid strain if something better is available. Moderate to strong fruity esters make me think S-04?

And for the numbers I was thinking around -

35 IBU
8 SRM

Pretty much after an easy drinking beer with a nice assertive hop flavour and aroma without being too over the top and with just enough maltiness to balance the hops and provide a little back bone.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reckon fruity esters aren't really in style for a "new world pale ale" are they? Without looking at the style guidelines I would've gone for S05 over S04 as a gut decision. You'll want it to be crisp and dry in the finish for good drinkability so S05 for the extra attenuation also.
I had thought they meant fruity aromas/flavours as derived from hops. Anyone want to clarify that?

8SRM sounds about right, I'd probably tend towards the high end of the gravity range for the style for a beer to knock the judges socks off. And make it reek of hops - that's the tricky thing with these beers I think - lots of aroma but not tasting like hop syrup and not super bitter.

If you do add some munich or vienna tread carefully, you don't want go too over the top malty.
Mash at about 65 and ferment around 18 for a good dry clean hoppy drinker.
Ahem - yes...
As one of the people who contributed to the writing of the style I have to acknowledge that we might not have got it right first time. It was an attempt to acknowledge our own type of Pale Ale which is similar to the American Pale ale.
There were a bunch of other changes suggesdted as part of the judging with NHC 2007 and the syles including revisions of the NZ draught and lager.
For the NZ Pale Ale I think you should consider the esters to be :
"Fruity esters vary from moderate to none."
Just my thoughts on the matter
B
Thanks guys, so basically I'd be looking at an APA with NZ hops?

Any suggestions for a hopping schedule to get me started in the right direction?

Cheers.
From the Wrold Beer Cup APA style, which is (I think) where this originated:
"Fruity-ester flavor and aroma should be moderate to strong"

The BJCP one states "moderate to none".

I've seen this around judging tables before - people saying a beer is too this or that, when in fact that would be "to style" if they actually read the style. Don't judge a beer by what the style is in your head, judge it by the style it has been entered as (unless you are just having a beer and, thus, judging it by what you like).

Is this WBC description wrong, are we no good at picking up esters, or are we seeing a shift in APA to a cleaner style?

I tend to agree with BJCP over WBC, in most instances (though I'm not sure either has nailed Saison - or ever will).
I'm not sure either has nailed Saison - or ever will
amen to that brother! ;-)
It depends quite a bit on the alpha acid of your hops but here is what I would start with:
96% Pale malt
4% Crystal 60
Make this to about 1055 OG
Consider your NZ hops - their alpha acid content will dramatically influence your additions for the first 2 so you will need to figure out your own additions.
First addition at 60 minutes remaining for about 28-30 IBU's ( you need to work out the grams needed by using a spreadsheet/calculator of some sort)
Second addition at 20 minutes of about 25 g (anything probably between 5-15 IBU's depending on your alpha acid content
Third addition at 0 minutes of about 15 g
Ferment with something clean like Wyeast 1056 or Safale 05.

You seem to be in the right ball park from your ideas above.
B
Cheers everyone, what I've got so far from the suggestions -

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 30.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 8.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.70 kg .Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 94.00 %
0.30 kg .Crystal Malt (Bairds)(75.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
24.00 gm .Nelson Sauvin [9.50 %] (60 min) Hops 29.2 IBU
25.00 gm .Riwaka [5.60 %] (20 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
15.00 gm .Riwaka [5.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.25 tsp .Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Misc
1 Pkgs DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Step Temp
60 min Mash 66.5 C
10 min Mash Out 75.6 C

Will adjust the hops to the right AA/IBU when I buy them.
Yep - looks good.
Yeah mate, I reckon spot on. Fermentation will be the key, rehydrate successfully, control that temp, keep it in primary for a couple of weeks (maybe get it at out at room temp towards the end) and you should be laughing.

Seems like a simple one, but for me thats the key to this style. Brew on.
Cool, cheers guys.

Yeah, it's a pretty constant temp in the fermentation room, around 17C, so it will probably ferment around 18-19C. I plan on leaving it in the primary for 3 - 4 weeks, then straight to the keg.

Looks like this'll be me on Saturday then.
Are you not worried about autolysis keeping it in primary for so long?
Ive noticed some not so desirable flavours the couple of times ive kept an ale on the yeast that long!
yeah I agree, though I've not had off flavours there's an element of risk.
2 weeks should be all it needs to clean up, then get it in the keg.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service