Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lol, know what you mean about a steep learning curve... Were all still learning eh :o) Have you heard/read about BIAB yet?

If it does turn out too sweet, you could allways try and brew a more bitter beer without crystal and blend them together...

Plus its good that youre trying to broaden your horizen, theres like 30+ different styles of beer, what I did is get a copy of the BJCP style guidelines (found in pdf on the net) and just go through it, it gives you the basic ingrediants and an idea of what it should taste like, I found it usefull for beers that you cant buy commercially in NZ...
Yeah, was just having a look at BIAB earlier - think i might go that way for my next partial and saves me picking up another $17 17lt pot from the red shed.

Yeah, i've got the BJCP style guidelines from my trial install of beersmith so spent Wednesday night reading through them all working out what styles I'd like to try next. Got a Wee Heavy and an Old Ale pencilled in for my next two brews even though I was never a fan of Wee Heavies back home I'll give it a whirl again, see if my tastebuds have changed
Good stuff mate thats what its all about! By the sounds of it youll be AG'ing in no time :o)

You should try and catch up with some of the boys in chch for a brew day, Herrschnapps, JamesP, Rusty, and Ged all BIAB and im sure theyd be keen to give you a demo..

Wee heavy sounds like it would be interesting, will probably have more flavour than said commercial examples :oP lol
Ged is a traditional AGer, however HS, Rusty and I have done / do BIAB. There is talk of a brew day in February so that may be an option.

BIAB has some great benefits (one vessel and a bag).

I'm moving to traditional from February as I have bought additional vessels over time (thanks Ged) and my wife is indulging my hobby for my birthday!
Fingers crossed - I've been pleased with my last two extract beers and am hoping the American Brown comes out alright. Might need to try and track down a commercial sample so I can see what its meant to taste like without shitloads of crystal :)
Since I didnt get my Stirplate going in time I have resorted to brewing this IPA

4kg Marris
1kg ADM Pilsner
500g Munich
170g Carapils

15 Min additions
15g Simcoe
20g Amarillo
30g NZ Cascade

10min Additions
30g Each Of Simcoe Amarillo and Cascade

Flame out additions
40g of each

SO5 bb05/2009
1.065 and 57 Ibus

Might dry hop it but will see how it tastes after primary.
Yes, a quick extract while cooking ham & eggs for breakfast on Sunday morning
The smell of breakfast seemed to compensate for the smell of hops in the house so no one complained too much.

Next up is another Hallertau Ale, but having a play with the recipe
Brewed a few of these, roughly
85% ADM Pils,
10% Munich
2.5% Wheat
2.5% Caramalt or Pale Crystal
1.040 and 20 - 25 IBU and US-05

Considering dropping the Munich, maybe even the wheat, maybe even the Caramalt .. anyone done a single malt ale with the ADM Pils ?
Nothing on the weekend, but still contemplating the next Hallertau Blande Ale

Anyone gone 100% ADM Pils on any recipe, any thoughts out there ?
Anniversary Day Porter (Robust Porter)

4kg Pale Malt (mixture of Maris Otter & Golden Promise)
550g Crystal 60L
550g Munich
350g Chocolate
200g Black Patent

40g NZ Fuggles @ 60 min
40g NZ Styrian Goldings @ 15 min
20g NZ Styrian Goldings @ flameout

One sachet of rehydrated S04, fermenting at 19 degrees C.

My calculations must have been a bit out of whack, coz I ended up with more wort than I expected (30 litres as opposed to 28 litres). I increased the boil time to 75 minutes but it didn't really have any effect, coz I ended up with 22 litres going into the fermenter instead of 20. As a result, OG was 1.053 instead of the target 1.061. Not a disaster, just a little annoying. IBUs should be around the 30-35 mark.

This was my first all-grain dark beer and the wort looked superb! Tasted pretty good too. Lower OG just means it'll be easier to drink!

Brewing on a hot day like today is a nightmare. My shirt stayed on throughout, however!

M
Mild/Brown Ale.

5kg Marris Otter
200g Crystal
150g Roast Barley
150g Pale chocolate

30g Kent goldings 60 minutes
15g " " 15 minutes from end

West Yorkshire Ale Wyeast

I am endeavouring to brew my first malt biased beer as opposed to hop biased. I have been looking at this 'old' style for a while.
You're getting in nice and early for the AGWB club competition mate... Good for you!
Just trying to design a recipe for next week and struggling to pick a nice yeast for this, Its kind of like a dark German Porter.

89% Dark Munich
2% Dark Crystal
2% Cara AFA special
2% Cara Aroma
2% Chocolate Wheat
1% Melnioden

Anyone take a stab in the dark with a suitable Yeast? Im struggling

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service