Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94597

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are correct... I'm sure those numbers are wrong.   They were from the recipe, but beersmith told me it had total IBUs of about 100... If I'd hit the 20 litre volume. I'd say it's actually in the 90s.

Bitterness tasted well rounded and in balance.

2 packs of US-05 as if I had actually hit my OG that's what beersmith suggested... Didn't hit OG but thought "why the hell not" (plus John Palmer recommends 2 packs).  FG was 1.009 and it's nice and clear... so I'm happy :)

Mikkellers head brewer states 100 IBU's for this beer and my experience with NS is that its awesome as a single hop with large additions...actually the opposite of a lot of recommendations i have read urging caution and restraint when adding this hop. Good on you for doing this ...i did somethimg very similar though the malt mix was different...I thought it was stunning as did all who tasted it. The bitterness seems very soft and understated but flavours and aroma incredible ...I definitely will be making it again. Would be very interested to hear how yours turns out.

Liberty Sauvignon Bomb

There is no doubt that this label contains imagery some people will possibly find objectionable. Those people might allude to the fact that it may be somewhat suggestive. To those people, I make no apologies: and I’ll tell you why. The only scantily clad woman in this bottle is the delicately sweet malt aroma, riding that savage Hop Bomb all the way through the long, stormy night sky until it hits your tongue... where you can expect the flavour to explode onto your palate.

Enjoy the taste of Nelson Sauvin responsibly, at refrigeration temperature with your friends or family.

• NZ Pale Ale
  • 7.0% ABV
  • 70 IBU
  • 1.065 OG

IMHO this beer is not over the top at all, you just have to like the hop,   70-100 is not a huge jump but you would have to love NS,   there is difference between 1.064 and 1.051 , interested to hear how it turns out.    I can drink S bomb but only 1 bottle at a time,  the Citra beer is the same, nice to share but I struggle a bit with 500ml on a hot day in the sun..  I have become a saison snob...

I thought there was some light crystal in there too?

There is if you look it up on the website! Hover over the image and at the bottom it says Pale Crystal.

1 week in the bottle and I got curious so cracked one open... I am very happy.  Not too bitter at all (to my palate). Definitely the best beer I have made... very tasty indeed.

Actual recipe stats below:

Mikkeller Single Hop IPA Sauvin Clone
American IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 13/11/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l Brewer: Mike
Boil Size: 36.55 l Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Pot (18.5 Gal/70 L) - BIAB
End of Boil Volume 26.33 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 18.11 l Est Mash Efficiency 88.6 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.20 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 67.0 %
0.69 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (63.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.0 %
0.69 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 3 11.0 %
0.69 kg Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 11.0 %
50.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 61.3 IBUs
60.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 36.5 IBUs
30.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 8 -
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 9 -
60.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
115.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.068 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.6 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 97.8 IBUs Calories: 473.7 kcal/l
Est Color: 11.0 SRM

I have found that I get a better efficiency when I do a double batch then a single one,  the additional kg of grains form a better bed and when I sparge the water truly drips through vs a single batch and I just get high flow rate and very low gravity 2nd runnings..   I also mill my grains a lot finer then the local hb shop does, this helps with the sparge as well.  I get about a 1.5L per min flow rate through the bed when double batching.....

I hope and expect you love the NS taste.....

It's my Birthday on the 16th of this month, so I'm trying something new... inspiration isthe Sprig and Fern Scotch Ale.

I've come up with this so far, if anyone has any other advice forthis beer I'll definitely take it on board.

"The Legacy of Wallace"

5.1kg Maris otter
0.5kg Munich
0.4 Pale Crystal
0.22 Melanoidin
0.1 Dark Crystal
60g Roast Barley

35g Fuggles @ 60 Mins

Yeast: MJ Burton Ale

OG 1.063

Est FG 1.018, I'm expecting this based on the high Mash Temp.

Mash Temp 68 deg C.

90 Min Boil

Got a 1040 pale on the go, all Gladfield malts which is something I've been looking forward to trying.
Pale, munich, gladiator and a bit of light crystal.
Resurrected a favourite hop bill from a Joking post a couple of years ago, Sauvin to bitter with Pacifica and Motueka at 15 10 5 and 1 for 25 BU.
something light and tasty for Christmas and New Year

So, after tasting Ballast Point's Fathom IPL I have decided I want to make a Red IPL.  Will be using my Irish Red grist (3.5kg Marris Otter, .125 Caraamber, .100 Roasted Barley - tho might dial that back a 1/4), probably NZ hops, but not necessarily (loving the way nugget is tasting in my Brown Ale at the moment) the only thing I am really stuck on here is whether to do a cooler ferment using US 05 slurry from my Brown Ale (have heard it still works well at about 15C) which would mean it's not a true lager, but does that matter?  Otherwise, I will be using W-34/70.  Can't decide.  Has anyone used US05 to make a 'lager-style' beer?  I don't care if it's not technically a lager, so long as it is clean and highlights both the hop and malt characters.

I plan to ferment at 15C if I use US-05 for at least two weeks solid and lager for at least 3 weeks before bottling.

Doing a cool ferment with US-05 slurry.  But now struggling with whether to dial back my flameout hop addition so I have a few hops leftover for dry hopping or if I should stick to my guns and then just throw in a full 100gms of NZ Cascade or NZ Styrian Goldings.  Is that overkill or should I just do it?

Bottled Raconteur Witbier

40L

4.5 kg (49.7%) Malteurop Pale Ale - added during mash
4.55 kg (50.3%) Torrified Wheat - added during mash
70 g (100.0%) Goldings nz (4.3%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
36.7 g Corriander seeds - added during boil, boiled 10 m
60 g Orange Peel - added during boil, boiled 1 m
1.0 ea WYeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit™

Brewed Russian River R2H56  IPA clone

40L
7.4 kg (62.5%) Pilsner Malt - added during mash
3.8 kg (32.1%) Malteurop Pale Ale - added during mash