Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94597

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very Great Ale
American Pale Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 07/10/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 46.00 l Brewer: Peter Smith
Boil Size: 59.88 l Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Pot (13 Gal/50 L) - BIAB
End of Boil Volume 51.82 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 44.30 l Est Mash Efficiency 86.6 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.0 %
1.00 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.9 %
0.45 kg Gladfield Gladiator Malt (3.2 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
0.20 kg Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.6 %
100.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 26.8 IBUs
100.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 13.3 IBUs
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
35.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 3.0 min Hop 8 1.2 IBUs
35.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 3.0 min Hop 9 2.5 IBUs
35.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 3.0 min Hop 10 3.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 11 -
100.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
100.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.6 %
Bitterness: 46.8 IBUs Calories: 494.4 kcal/l
Est Color: 11.4 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 12.65 kg
Sparge Water: 39.56 l Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C Tun Temperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 34.86 qt of water at 73.0 C 65.6 C 75 min
Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 39.56 l water at 75.6 C
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 260.55 g Carbonation Used: Bottle with 260.55 g Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 21.1 C Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 18.3 C

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Hi everyone,

Brew day for me on Saturday and I am brewing my take on a Irish red !

Brew volume 23L AND ABV 5.4%.

3.5kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

1 kg Wheat Male

600g Caraaroma

500g Melanoiden

Yeast Burton ale WLP023

The hops are Fuggles and East kent goldings at 60min (18g each) 15min (30g each) and 5min(18 each)

Now I quick question I was going to do I 90min boil but because my first hop addition is at 60 min, I am thinking of changing the boil time from 90 min to 60min to save gas and time on brew day ??? (will that make a difference TO THE BREW ) Cheers and happy brewing.

Hey Nathan,

I've had advice that Melanoidin in an Irish Red would be a bad idea.  How's it tasting?  Interestingly enough, I just bottled an Irish Red on Friday gone.  Would be interested in doing a swap for curiousity's sake?

My recipe was very different.  I used Marris Otter (about the same I think), Caraamber (for biscuity taste) and Roasted barley for colour.  Only did a 16L batch, used Goldings at 60 minutes and Fuggles at 10 minutes. Fermented with Irish Ale yeast. 60 minute mash, 60 minute boil. Didn't quite hit numbers, but it looks, smells and tastes amazing.  Possibly undercarbed, but still willing to give it a go.

I had a bit of spare time today, smack pack in the fridge and too eager to wait for a starter to be ready, so I thought I'd try my hand at a little session IPA. Despite being really low gravity I didn't want it to be too crystal heavy, so I went with Golden Promise and also loaded up on Munich and Aromatic malts to build the body.

1.040 OG, hoping for 1.010 finishing and 4% abv

74.5% Golden Promise
7.5% Munich
7.5% Aromatic
5% Carapils
3% Dark Cara
2.5% Acid Malt

No hops in the boil
55g Simcoe and 55g Amarillo at flame out, steeped for 20 mins. Should be around 25ibu.

This will be the first time I haven't made a starter with liquid yeast, fingers crossed my impatience doesn't come back to haunt me.

I have done this at 1.040 and never had an issue, but at 1.055-60 I tend to stall at 1.025-30 and have to rack onto 2nd gen us05 or sim  to move things along if its an english ale yeast.... god I love us05   its a great yeast.  Everyone should have this live in a carboy as a house yeast..   I have an ESB that was 1.058 I pitched a very freash youngs wyeast 1768 onto it no starter its 1.030 after a week,its probably going to grind to lower but that yeast clumps like cottage cheese  , my fault was a bit quick off the mark, , but will see and if by sunday onto a us05 cake it goes.   the Yeast book says all the flavour develops the first 3-4 days, so after that you just looking for attenuation anyways.

As long as you mashed low how can it go wrong?

Thanks for the saison recipe,   I had a few dupont saisons and now I am all keen to do a few high temp saisons in the next few weeks

Thanks Peter! Came out at 1.039 so it should be a pretty easy job for it.

Are you using the Dupont strain for ya Saison? I've used that before starting at 30 degrees and finishing at 34. Was a pretty scary temp but it worked, fermented out in a few day's right down to 1.005, no hot alcohols or off flavours. It's a pretty crazy yeast.

yes going to walk into brew on quay with a little  conical of sterilised DME, 2 bottles of dupont later = same as wyeast cost....

I love that dupont taste,   will use your malt bill

Hey Matt, I will be keen to see how that one goes. I still find it hard to believe that so many IBUs come from late additions of hops and I seem to get a better approximation if I don't calculate the IBUs for anything later than 15 minutes (i.e 10, 5 1, 0). I find this works when calculating by hand or using Brewers Friend.  Maybe this is just my lack of experience. I do get a good rolling boil. Any thoughts. 

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I always steep my flame out additions for 20 mins and calculate as a 5 min addition. My flame out additions for hoppy beers are usually pretty substantial, and I found that before I started calculating bitterness this way my beers were coming out way too bitter. Doing it this way seems to result in the balance being right where I want it.

The main reason I calculate my flame out addition as 5 minutes, is just to get an approximate differentiation in bitterness between a beer with, for example, a 15g flameout addition, and a beer with a 100g flameout addition. The 100g addition is always going to produce a more bitter beer, especially when its sitting in wort between 85-95 degrees for 20 mins. Supposedly isomerisation happens at these temps at about half the rate of isomerisation whilst boiling. This would give a bitterness contribution equal to a 10 min addition. I just take a slightly more conservative approach and calculate as a 5.

In any case, if the calculations aren't correct, it doesn't really matter,  the trick is consistency. As long as I know what a 40ibu or 50ibu beer as calculated by my method tastes like, then I can tailor my recipes to that in the future to get the balance that I want.

The latest beersmith vers 2.2 has a steep hop addition now.

Do you know how it calculates it?

no i dont but there maybe info on his site, i downloaded that version and have yet to have  a play to see how the ibu's stack up,  good addition, he also has better search tech across recipe and cloud and auto backup of all recipe chanes,  there is NOTHING out there for $30 that can compete... 

I tock a while to get beersmith religion   8)  

now I understand why its so good...  As you scale you just import the new systems parameters...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service