Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94604

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

call me a hippy but id like to see more local content used to lighten footprint.....you buy malteurop pilsen is there other varieties available from them and also have you tried Gladfield Joe?  I really like the 3 buck a kilo price tag!

It's all good. I'm working on the Gladfield angle at the moment, but it's difficult - having a number of suppliers for the same generic malt type poses it's own logistic issues.

To be honest, I've brewed with both Gladfield malt types (Lager and Ale) as well as Malturop. I've found Gladfield to be inconsistent (protein levels, colour, mash pH etc) which isn't an issue if you (as a brewer) keep on top of it in terms of reading the spec sheet each time a new batch is produced, and adjusting to suit.

Maltuerop on the other hand varies very little. The spec sheet's hardly change from batch to batch... therefor it's easier to brew with. This is why you see Malteurop on our site over Gladfield - because at the end of the day, most the barley is grown in the same regions... it's just getting malted by different maltsters.

That being said... I'd be an egg if I didn't cater for an obvious demand. So... I have been working out some logistics.

good news and yes I listened to an interview with Soren from 8wired and he noted the inconsistancy with Gladfield.

That's comforting chap.

I've always looked at recipes and posts mentioning Gladfeilds thinking I was missing out on something.

As I'm not one to read the spec sheet each time a new batch is produced, and adjust to suit. ... the Malteurop looks a safe bet for a consistent batch ... as long as I don't dick about with the recipe or methods ... reassuring to read

cheers, jt

"If I get a few groveling "please sir's" I might even see if I can *afford* to stock up on the US ones."

Please dont make me beg...... Cos I will!!!

I just dry hopped this last night and brought it into the lab for analysis this morning. This hop combo is AWESOME!! Its smells wicked and is about 6.95% alc at the minute. I may have just become an American hop lover, I,m sorry I ever doubted your love of these hops Tyler.
Chuck some in the next batch of Lion Red?

It cost me $30 in hops alone to make 20 ltrs, so by my reckoning it would be $82,500 in hops for a full brew!!

I'd pay good money to witness that conversation with the accountants :)
Haha, once you hit a primo US hop combo theres just no going back IMO - How can you get that aroma with anything else eh?? ;o)
Unfortunately I can't claim to have found this one. I've borrowed it from the Russian River brewer. Zymurgy is great for clone recipes.
Stumbled across, found, same thing really ;o) haha - But yeah, can't quite beat the Pliny clone, i've brewed it myself once before and it was absolutely delicious!! Had to limit myself to one pint per night cos it was soooo drinkable!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service