Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No recipe Martin? Playing your cards for the WBC close to your chest are you?? I made mine about 2 weeks ago. Really looking forward to that comp.

Nah, just too lazy to post recipes these days! I think I've posted it before anyhow - search for my Shakespeare clone.

It's destined for the WBC comp and potentially the case swap too, depending on how it turns out and what else I have available at the time. I'm really happy with the way it's going so far - I had a real active starter and the ferment has kicked on really well. Beer is made in the fermenter, so I'm pleased.

I brewed myself a nice little Pale Ale @ 1.042. Bittered with Warrior and flavoured with Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook, Cascade and Columbus. It's nearly finished now, and smells outastanding. Kinda ike an IPA. But miniature.
De-lurking to thank Dale after brewing Dales's Amen (or is that Ahem?) this morning. I approached the hydrometer sample with caution, but despite the 120-odd IBUs it's tasting surprisingly balanced. Amen to that!

Just finished mashing my American Stout. I've never brewed one before, so I'm just doing Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles.

You guys have probably had this before, but anyway here's the recipe. It's going to be my case swap beer too I think... I don't think anyone wants the other option, which is the parti-gyle bitter from my barleywine!

The only substitute I had to make was Warrior instead of Horizon for bittering. Don't think it'll make much difference.

American Stout
13-E American Stout
Author: Jamil

Size: 6.0 gal

Original Gravity: 1.074
Bitterness: 74.1 (35.0 - 75.0)

Ingredients:
7 kg NZ 2-row
.35 kg Chocolate Malt
350 g Crystal 75
.45 kg Roast Barley
33.0 g Warrior (16.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
26.0 g Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

ferment at 19degrees with 2nd gen US05.

That's a great beer, I used columbus in mine, and added a dry hop as well.
Ow good idea! The wort tastes amazing
The competition is hotting up. I,m seeing a few beers on here now that look like they are destined for WBC greatness!

Suffering withdrawal symptoms.

I've not brewed since 19 January this year

However, I have a starter of WLP001 nicely built up and ready for a brew day this week, probably on Wednesday.

Will post the recipe as the boil is happening.

Finally brewed an American Amber Ale today.

92% Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter
7% Medium and Dark Crystal
1% Chocolate
18 IBU Cascade at 60 minutes
13 IBU Cascade at 10 minutes
WLP001

OG 1.054

Mashed for 2 hours at 66°C. Boiled for 2 hours. Yes, you read correctly, 2 hours each mash and boil.
Never ever, in 4 years of brewing, have I had such clear wort into the fermenter. It's almost bright, as if it was filtered. I think the long mash and boil definitely made a difference.
With such a long mash is there a risk of tannins causing a flavour problem. What is the object of such a long mash and boil other than maybe making the wort clear?

Essentially to mimic historical UK brewing practices, because I'm using an old fashioned floor malted malt such as Maris Otter. I think it helps to produce clear wort, and improves efficiency. I did it after discussion with my usual supplier Marks Home Brew, and his experience is the same.

I have no concerns about and have never had issues with tannins, even though I regularly get over 90% mash efficiency. This batch gave me 99%.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service