Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bad Arse aye!! But if your going to add a hop at 60 you might as well make it count right? Its super low cohum and high in oil so it should hang around in the boil more than other hops

Got the water heating for a rebrew of a Sauvin/GP SMaSH I did last year. Turns out it was pretty popular, and a mate wants a keg for his party. 

2.5 hops/l @ 10, 0, dry hop. Plus 60 min bittering addition to make up 40 IBUs.

Target OG 1.045.

Ferment it out with US05 @ 17 C

Should be nice and easy!

Case swap beer in the fermenter!

Hop Harvest Ale

4.8kg Bairds Maris Otter

.2kg Bairds Crystal

OG 1.053

18gm Southern Cross @60min

15gm Amarillo; 40gm Home Grown Hops (guesstimated at 4%AAU) @10min

20gm Amarillo; 40gm Home Grown Hops @3min

48IBU <-- Total guess!!!

S05

Home Grown Hops

Bloody excellent sharing your harvest around like that Barry, good man !

Nice ! Ive been wondering, when people talk about hops in grams per litre, is that referring to pre boil volume or volume in fermenter ?

Its total finished volume, its easyier to use this way than say 50g per batch as whats a batch size? this way its easier to skim off or scale up.  

Yeah, batch size into the fermenter.

Technically it should be post-boil post-cooling volume to account for loss to trub, lines, etc.  It's all good to say I used 50g/L but did I have 30L after boiling and leave 10L behind in the kettle, or did I have 20L after boiling and dump everything in?  Would be a big difference.

Hah true, I actually think of it depending on the amount of liquid in the vessel at that time....

So 2g/l during the boil, means if there's 30L in the kettle, its 60g of hops.

Once the wort's in the fermentor, with say 20L, that means 40g in the fermentor..

Seems to make more sense to me that way, and is more meaningful for the purposes of scalability and volume losses. But hey, if that's not the way it's meant to be done, I can change!

Nah its per finished boil and cooled its to hard to account for trub, trub can change via malt and how much hop you use, down to how much kettle finning you use.

Technically it should be post-boil post-cooling volume to account for loss to trub, lines, etc.  It's all good to say I used 50g/L but did I have 30L after boiling and leave 10L behind in the kettle

For every 100g of hops you will lose 1L to Trub, So if your using 50g Per Litre you would get out of it 500mls, then you will also be losing Hot/Cold break so say 400Mls, so then do you talk about hopping after that?

Aye?  None of that makes sense.
Yeah maybee not the last part paragraph so much but if your brewed with over a kg of hop in the boil for a 23L batch it does, I appriciate what your saying but a a batch of beer, is end of boil ammount not an ammount into a FV as that is a varible. So if you were to base your calculations on varibles than it would be to hard to estimate anything in the brewery.

Umm yeah, I think we're on the same page bro.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service