Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

American(ish) Style Stout

4 Kg Maris Otter

550g Chocolate

500g Crystal

100g Wheat

150g Rolled Oats

150g Raw Sugar (added to boil)

90 Mins 24g Pacific Gem (34 IBU)

45 Mins 20g Pacific Gem (25 IBU)

15 Mins 20g Czech Saaz (5 IBU)

5 Mins 70 g Cascade (13 IBU)

Total 77 IBU

1.062 in FV

S-05 yeast

Just checked an FV sample of this, man I,m getting excited. Smells like what would happen if Mr Cascade and Ms Cadburys had babies.

Czech saaz?? Man thats a random addition Andrew!!

And is that NZ cascade at 5 mins?

Yeah NZ cascade, so its going to be an NZ/American style stout. I thought the Saaz might just add a little tinge of herby spice to it. So saying American, thats just the style, in actual fact it has no American ingredients at all. But I had an indian curry the other night, it tasted like one but I,m pretty sure all the ingredients came from pak'n'save ;P

lol, I hear ya on that, its definately an American Styled stout of course, I wasnt questioning that ;o)

Hmmm, interesting tho re the saaz, me thinks the peppery notes might compliment the cracked black pepper of the NZ cascade maybe?? Reads like you might have quite a spicy stout as opposed to fruity?

Its hard to tell at the minute, the FV sample was really fruity but I think that will calm down alot once its bottled and all the hop residue is removed. Really chocolatey as well. This is gonna be a great autumnal Stout... I,m hoping.

Just bottled my robust porter and i do believe it is rather tasty.

3kg Golden Promise

.5kg Munich

.2kg CaraPils

.2kg Chocolate Malt

(wanted to put some black in but i was a little impatient)

10gm Cascade & Golding @60

8gm Golding @30

5gm Fuggles @1

OG: 1058

FG: 1010

And bottling my first IPA in the next day or so

3kg Pale

1kg Wheat

.3kg Munich

.02kg Chocolate

10gm Cascade @ 60

8gm Simcoe @60

5gm Motueka @ 15 & 1

OG: 1054

FG yesterday was 1012

Next on the agenda - Bock.

Got myself a Imperial Pilsner brewing at the moment

100% TF Halcyon Malt

65 Degree Mash

40Ibu Simcoe @ 60

2g/l of Citra @ 8, 0

1g/l Simcoe @ 8, 0

4g/l Dryhop

1.070 - 1.014 7.2%

69 Ibu

34/70 

I love 34/70. And Citra. And Simcoe.

Consensus is that this beer will be nums.

Num Nums probably.

Got a little bag of Falconers Flight and made a US style pale ale. Turned out the worst brew day ever, got a blocked sparge, then lost 20 % of my grain on the ground trying to sort it. But the hops smelled fantastic. expensive but probably worth it.
Brewed an amber ale for the case swap on Saturday, and ended up running a little late and a little intoxicated and missing out on trying Joe's beers out at Hallertau. Bugger! Don't suppose they're on / available anywhere else in Auckland? Anyway, it turns out it's a really bad idea to sit and watch the mash and boil within reach of a kegerator with imperial red ale on tap.
I've made that mistake before so now I never crack a beer until the wort is in the fermenter, preferably with yeast pitched. Anytime I deviate from that rule, even for one beer, things go wrong.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service