Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94607

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brewing? Nothing right now, but my last keg blew last night, so im down to bottle stock :oS Sh*t this summer has really got away on me with how busy i've been!!

So thinking something simple, to quaff in 2 weeks time

3kg Golden Promise 

1kg Kolsch

wee bit of crystal malt

NZ Mystery hop X for bittering and a smidgen for flavour.

US-05

Bottled my Sooty Llama peat smoked American barleywine yesterday.  The process was a bit of a mess, but the end results were fine.

It’s actually turned out to be more of a peat smoked IIPA than a barleywine.  I was having problems with my thermometer when mashing, and obviously mashed way lower than I thought, as it went from 1.096 down to 1.014.

The beer was spectacular, even uncarbed and straight out of the fermenter.  Huge smoke, which didn’t quite completely hide the 10g/L of Chinook hops.  The powerful bitterness and fruity-spicy flavour of the hops worked wonderfully with the smoke.

Almost no noticeable alcohol, which is amazing for a very young 10.3% abv beer.  It’s going to be very difficult to make this one last.

It’s a good thing it was so tasty, as I miscounted my bottles and we ended up with almost 2L of it in glasses to be consumed yesterday evening. 

Stock replenishing Pale Ale

93% GP

7% Pale crystal

30 IBU Rakau @ 60

9 IBU Cascade & Amarillo @ 15

2 g/L Cascade & Amarillo @ 0

1.046 OG

US05

Churr for the brewday Haish, was good to see your set up finally!
Thanks for sharing your last bottle of Old Ale. It was delicious!!
No worries, a little past its best I thought, but nice none the less - will definately try and beef up the malt character next time - although when you're working with bugs that's easier said than done lol
Yeah, I really enjoyed that. Cheers! And thanks haish for hosting an invasion of brewers.

Rebrew of the beer I put into CS6, with a couple of tweaks based on the feedback (less biscuit malt, more Fuggles):

11kg Golden Promise

3kg Maris Otter

1.35kg Medium Crystal

400g Dingeman's Biscuit malt

200g Carared

60g Pacific Jade @ 60min

60g NZ Cascade @ 10min

100g NZ Fuggles @ 10min

85g NZ Cascade @ 1min

105g NZ Fuggles @ 1min

US-05 fermented at 20C

Ended up with 60L in the fermenter at 1.053, looking forward to getting this one in the keg in a couple of weeks to see how much difference the changes ended up making.

Brewing this weekend
It's not often that I repeat a recipe but some are too good to mess with.
There was a photo posted by Joe some time ago that stuck in my mind
The comment with the photo was 'I got 23 Liters of crystal clear 1.050 wort: The photo above is taken @ 10 degrees C'
Joe bittered with 20gm Sauvin and had 10gm each of Pacifica and Motueka at 15 10 5 & 0

I tried the combo a few brews back and was I impressed so I'm rebrewing it
My grist was different, he was 1.050 and 100% Special K and I was 1.033 and 85% Malteurop 15% Caramalt
I bittered with 12gm Sauvin but kept the same additions of Mot and Pac so the balance is a bit different !

Having said that I'm doing a repeat, there are two changes, one enforced and one tweak.
I'm using Dark Crystal in place of Caramalt - because that's what I've got, and also because I like it.
I'm also dropping the Sauvin back a smidge so it doesn't dominate quite as much

I'm using Dark Crystal in place of Caramalt - because that's what I've got, and also because I like it.

Dark crystal as the only specialty rocks.  I've got an ordinary bitter recipe that I've brewed twice (and I'm drinking now) that's just 95% GP 5% Dk Crystal.  Simple as but works so well.

Brewing tomorrow, Stone Levitation Ale clone.

My three favourite things, amber ales, American hops, and a relatively low gravity session beer.

Although I'm subbing out that 14g Columbus for 7g Cent (to hit 56 IBU), 007 for US05, and the pale malt will be Weyermann's pale ale malt.  Not exact but should work out OK.

Dark crystal as the only specialty rocks

Yea, it's good, holds up well in the low og beers for me, it's a staple in the pales. Funnily enough I also add caramalt in the browns !

But i suspect there' a few others out there too thought. Like the caraambers etc that I haven't tried yet

Yeah I was surprised it worked well as the only specialty and in a low OG beer.  I was kinda expecting it to be a little too dry and t/roasty with not enough sweetness.

Caramalt is a great malt as well, one of my favourites.

I haven't tried all the Weyermann specialties but the ones I have haven't really flicked my switch, the UK specialties are so good they're hard to beat I reckon.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service