Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mr Cherry's beers brought to you by Sesame Street ?
Plan for Sunday looks like
80% malteurop
15% dark crystal
5% chocolates
16 IBU Green Bullet to bitter then 10 IBU of Super Alpha from 15 minutes (includes 1 gm / litre at 1 minute)
may change the mix of the crystal a bit and add a smidge of black
But I've been wanting to do the Super Alpha thing for some time - a throw back to the NZ Hops Irish red that I used to do

Nah, I wimped out.

Favourite brown grist with Sauvin to bitter then Pac Hall and Motueka

That combo smells so good in the pale that's in the fermenter that I have to try it as a brown - as I usually do

Still 1.034 and 30IBU

But I will do the super alpha - one day

Just doughed in the first mash of 2 for this Years Russian Imperial Stout

70% Thomas Fawcett Halcyon Malt

7% Roast Barley

3% Chocolate Malt

4% Pale Chocolate

4% Special B

3% Caraaroma

7% Dark Caramalt

2, 65 Degree Mashes

60Ibu Warrior @ 60

100g Goldings @ 10

1.115 - 1.024 12% Abv

80Ibu

US05 and S04

Peew 25kg of Malt gone!! Damn mash stinks of a Pouch of Port Royal tobaco

Nice looking beer holmes.

i'm wanting to brew tomorrow,i'm thinking of an apa or similar, i ahve a notty yeast cake i want to re-use and i have 200g of amarillo to play with, i also have a bit of sauvin and goldings

i have these malts to play with-base-gladfield ale,vienna,munich. specialities melanoidin,c/aroma c/pils c/malt and pale,medium and dark crystal, any one have a solid tasty recipe to suggest?

iv'e decided to try the cybi epic pale ale recipe, but as i have no cascade i'm going to replace the hops with amarillo, not sure what i'll dry hop it with, either get some more amarillo or i have plenty of sauvin, sauvin and amarillo together? would it work?
Hey Martin, Amarillo is one of my favourite hops. I love it in blondes and pale ales. I've mixed it with Simcoe before which works well. Not tried it with Suavin but I guess it might work if you use more Amarillo than Sauvin, maybe 3:1 Amarillo? Otherwise why not bitter with Sauvin and late hop with the Amarillo?
i thought about that but theres bugger all at the start and heaps at the end,i'll just order some more amarillo,it'll be a week at least before i need them anyway.

I'd stick with Amarillo the whole way through.

They liked the complexity they got from the multiple additions of only cascade so maybe stick with amarillo for the same effect?

Sauvin and Amarillo work beautifully together IMO, you want to use a ratio of 1.5 : 1 Amarillo : Sauvin, if you use the same amount of each then the sauvin will dominate..

Amarillo is my fave hop also, but I also think it can be a little lacking as a single hop, it works so well being mixed with other varietys...

Todays brew was an AIPA based on the BCS recipe but lower gravity. (Bittering hops are a bit random because I forgot to adjust for the lower alpha acid so had to scrounge from the later additions).

Tried out Jokings wort recovery protocol for the first time. Got an extra 3.2 litres! Will definitely add this step to my regular brew day.

Batch Size: 18.50 L     
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated IBU: 57.8 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU
4.50 kg       Pale Malt, Golden Promise (5.3 EBC)       Grain        86.54 %
0.40 kg       Carapils/Carafoam (4.0 EBC)               Grain        7.69 %
0.15 kg       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 45L (90.0 EBC)     Grain        2.88 %
0.15 kg       Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)                    Grain        2.88 %
4.00 gm       Centennial [10.30 %]  (60 min)            Hops         5.1 IBU
24.00 gm      Chinook [11.40 %]  (60 min)               Hops         34.1 IBU
12.00 gm      Williamette [5.00 %]  (60 min)            Hops         6.7 IBU