Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ha, indeed.

Didn't someone/somepeople successfully bring malt over from Aus without MAF hassles?

Maybe I should order some from Craftbrewer while the dollar is in my favour.

EDIT: Turns out they don't have any. I'm gonna go chew some grains now to see what's what.
Just finished doing that :)

The CaraAmber tastes very malty and a quick steep went cloudy/starchy. I reckon it's too cloudy for steeping unless you're brewing something black of course. It didn't taste very biscuity to me. Maybe it needs to be mashed to get the biscuity flavour?

The reason I asked this question originally was 'coz I was looking for a Victory substitute. I don't think CaraAmber is it.
How 'bout amber malt as a victory substitute? I've tried it in Jamil's no crystal APA and it tasted great.
Haha, yeah that APA is what started the discussion between me and Mr Cherry.

I brewed that APA last Friday with amber as a substitute, did you alter the amount at all? I halved my addition as I've read that amber can be a strongly flavoured malt, but I didn't know how strong in comparison to victory.

And Mr Cherry, 'Super Wine'? I don't understand...
Griffins? Superwines. Only Thing that goes with them is a glass of milk.
Griffins Super Wine biscuits ?
Haha. Click.

Don't eat enough biscuits aye :-P
I didn't alter the amount. I think the richness of the munich is balanced by the toasty amber.

Last time I brewed it, the malt tasted great but I miscalculated the IBUs and it was way too bitter. I'm kegging my second attempt this weekend, so I'll let you know how it turned out.
OK, I've changed my mind. After leaving the CaraAmber to steep for an hour there is a definate "Super Wine" flavour coming though. I'm gonna add it to my APA this weekend.

Super Beer!
I have an APA a Smoked Hybrid and and IPA mismash this weekend all with a touch of amber and caraamber. Will Let you know how they go. Was going over to Wainui the other day and smelt that griffins factory aroma!!! if i can capture that bisculty smell and put it into a beer or drink for that matter well i think i would be rich!!!!
I'm gonna put this to bed for you guys!

In the last 3 months I have brewed 4 beers with CaraAmber:

1: Westmalle clone... 140g in 20L batch mash temp 67. Yeast was Wy1388 and didn't accentuate the malt, so wasn't so noticable.

2: Lion Red Clone... 150g in 20L batch with an handful of Choc Malt mash temp 65. (for my hethan Dad who keeps asking "why dont you make beer that tastes like beer?"). Yeast was wlp002. The beer tasted like a lion red concentrate (about 1.5 times concentrated) and I could notice a distinct buscittyness. IBU was 30 and ballanced the toasty flavours nicely.

3: ESB #1... 150g in 20L batch with 100g Melanoidin Malt, mash 67. Cant remember what this one tasted like now, as it didn't last very long. Aaaaahhh now I remember: it was too buscitty for the bitterness @ 35ibu: I wanted more caramel and toffee. Yeast was wlp002.

4: ESB #2... 50g in 20L batch with 200Dark and 300 light Crystal. End gravity 1015 alc 5.8%. Pretty ballanced maltiness / bitterness @ 46IBU. Malt is sweet / toffee / toasty / slight biscuit reminiscent of chocolate wheaten. Styrian flavour finishes the malt onslaught with dry bitterness. Yeast was wlp002.

Conclusion: Every beer I used amber malt that had a yeast that would accentuate malt flavour had a wheaton flavour be it chocolate wheaton, plain unchocolate wheaton, or a wheaton with burned caramel on it. I wouldn't use more than 2% of the grist as amber malt, as the roasty/toasty/buscitty flavour dominates. I also wouldn't use it alongside many other "toasted" malts like: Aromatic, Brown, Chocolate etc.

Hope that information helps.
Aaahhhhh, chocolate wheaten, only bettered by Jaffa Chocolate Thins, mmmm hmmmmmm

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service