Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94607

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haven't been doing much lately... building walk in wardrobes and dreaming about brewing... then I can across this (sorry if it's been posted....:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/668

They are cloning the good stuff..... that has been cloned on here before by the masters! :)
building

Thought that would be rebuilding .. in Christchurch
My place has not been damaged except for may be a pipe out of the back of the toilet.... nothing major! I have to finish projects I started in the house a while ago before investing in the garage brewery again...
Brewing tonight, a pale ale based on our 'stock' recipe, but using a specialty malt I've not used before, ditto the hop combo.
68% Golden Promise
19% Maris Otter
8% Medium crystal
5% Dingeman's Biscuit malt
32-ish IBU of Pacific Jade @ 60min
NZ Cascade and NZ Fuggles to 15 IBU @ 10min
Same amount of NZ Cascade & NZ Fuggles at flame out
US05 to ferment @ 19C

Decided to use this hop combo having had a Fuggles/Cascade hopped pale ale at the Redoak in Sydney a little while ago, and using the Biscuit malt because we had it sitting there and figured it may as well get used. I understand it'll add a bit more of a caramelly/toffee note which should sit well with the hops.

Any thoughts?
"caramelly/toffee note"

I didnt really get that from the biscuit malt, and I still cant put my finger on what exactly I do get out of it, toasty is definately one of the flavours, but theres something else going on with it too, my mate said it tasted like peanuts?? lol
Guess there's only one way to really find out - just have to wait a couple of weeks and I'll know!
Ill be interested to hear what flavours you get from it mate! No doubt you will like it, seems to be a pretty popular malt!
What should I brew this weekend??

I have a NZPA bottle conditioning at the moment, I have some green bullet, and a little NZ Cascade, and some US05. Any suggestions welcomed and considered!
Depends what malt youve got really mate? Whats in stock?

NZ Amber could be the go with cascade for flavour?
Have no malt in stock, buy it pre-milled on a batch-by-batch basis. NZ Amber sounds interesting - I spotted an American amber recipe in the recipe exchange section, I guess I could use a similar malt bill to that, bitter with GB and chuck the cascade in at 30, 15, 0? Here it is: http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/group/therecipeexchange/forum/topic...
I tried that beer and it was truely awesome!! I would be tempted to go and buy all the US hops to go with it tho ;o)

The reason I suggested an Amber is I tried a few of Sorens home brews last year and the standouts were the maltier ones with NZ cascade, its a hop that I personally hate in a pale ale but think it works really well in something with a bit of colour and malt character...
Does CaraAmber add much in the way of colour? Or is it the combination of Munich and Pale Choc that makes it amber? What is the aim when mixing light and dark crystal malts together - could the same thing be achieved by simply using no light crystal, and slightly more dark crystal? Still learning about malts, obviously!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service