Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you straight repitch within the week or ever make a starter ?

Interesting about SO-4 - what characteristics improve ?
S04 just kind of loses it's S04-ness. I find it just gets a bit different. Nicer. Bit hard to explain though.

I fill a sanitised jar with fermenter dregs, just through the fermenter tap. Then I bung it in the fridge. About a day before pitching I chuck some wort in, maybe 500ml to kick it up. When it's at krausen I pitch.
Cheers Barry, interesting, though I think I've done my dash with SO-4 for now, but worth considering for future
I've heard from Soren that US-05 improves immensely in the second generation. I think JoKing said the same.
I prefer the 2nd gen of 05 over the 1st. The 3rd is better too - but I dont go further than that. It means that you have to brew with the same yeast 3 times in a row - but for what I brew, it's fine. I don't use much else than 05 when you look through the old brewing records.
"Do you repich '05 often Barry ?
What results

The usual comment is not to repitch a dried yeast, the risk vs cost isn't worth it ?"

Every single packet of US-05 ive ever brought I have had at least 3 pitches out of!! Some times if im feeling lazy/poor ill go up to 5 pitches, never had any problems, in fact my winning WBC IPA was a 4th gen pitch, dumped the wort onto about 3 litres of trub and yeast cake, came out awesome!!
Tasty's APA with a Kiwi accent

Based on the venerable Tasty McDole's famous APA recipe. However, I was slightly short on the bittering hop addition so I'm giving it a slight (probably undetectable) Kiwi accent.

3.2kg Maris Otter
1.3kg Pilsner
0.4kg CaraPils
0.2kg Crystal 60L
0.2kg Wheat malt

Mashed at 67 degrees with 10g of Chinook as a mash hop. Water adjusted as per all my hoppy pale ales, so plenty of sulphate.

90 minute boil.

4g Warrior @ 60
4g Nelson Sauvin @ 60
7g Simcoe @ 20
7g Columbus @ 10
7g Northern Brewer @ 10
7g Simcoe @ 1
9g Centennial @ 1
25g Cascade @ 0

Will be dry-hopped with a mixture of Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial & Amarillo

Yeast is Wy1764PC Rogue PacMan. I've made a 1 litre starter although I think it would probably have been OK anyway.

Just about to start sparging. Mash smells awesome.

Also kegged my Over The Hill But Not Bitter and washed my handpump, so a busy brewday.
Have you brewed this already Martin? I just bought a whole swag of Warrior over from the States. It should be available early this week.
Yeah, brewed today mate. Not a problem - I couldn't have justified buying some more Warrior right now for the amount I use.
Smokey Oat Stout

4.5 kg MO
450 g Oats
350 g Chocolate malt
350 g Smoked malt
250 Crystal
250 Roasted Barley
120 g Wheat bix

50 g NZ Fuggles for 60 min

Wyeast West Yorkshire Ale 2 l starter
That sounds delicious Tony!
Just finished putting down a quick NZ pale ale of sorts. The grains were all freebies.

3.3kg NZ Lager malt
430g Vienna Malt
240g Crystal
14g Pacific Jade @60min
8g Pacifica @15min
7g Motueka @15min
8g Fuggles @15min (left over from a previous brew)
18g Pacifica @1min
19g Motueka @1min
US-05 @ 22c

OG 1.041
Batch sparge @ 68c, efficiency 66%.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service