Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That hopping schedule looks horrendously similair to the one I brewed on Monday, a few pages back - Should turn out pretty tasty Matt, theres no turning back after brewing a good USIPA ;o)
Hi all,

Dipping a toe into the lager world after only doing ales for a long time. It seemed like the appropriate thing to do with the current weather.
Aiming at a munich helles

1.050, 20 IBU

90% Global pils
10% Global munich
Mashed 67c
90 min boil

Green bullet at 60 mins to 20 IBU
Saflager 34/70 now sitting at 10c

Not really sure what to expect with this, but high hopes that something drinkable will result.
Got a 34/70 lager in the garage at the moment, fermenting 10-12c, quite pleased with the yeast. had a hydro sample couple of nights ago and it was quite clean. Repitching some slurry from it on another lager on Sunday
Just harvested my last lager with W34/70, it's a great lager / pils yeast if you can't be bothered with liquids.
Another W34/70 lover here. Got an Oktoberfest sitting in the keg carbing up that was fermented with it and planning a Schwarzbier with it next. Just out of interest what kind of attenuation do you guys get with it? I'm hitting around 72% which is a bit below the 73-77% I've read a few times elsewhere.
attenuation

1.040 to 1.010 when I checked the other night - I'll have another taste hydrometer sample this arvo
W34/70 attenuation

1.040 to 1.008

Racked and added hops after the taste hydrometer sample this arvo
80% attenuation, impressive stuff jt.What's the grain bill on that Lager, is it mostly Pils malt? I wonder if my Oktoberfests don't drop as much because of the Munich addition? The two I have done have had 30-40% Munich. I had a Munich Dunkel which was 95% Munich and only got 62%! None have tasted overly sweet so maybe they are finishing where they are supposed to.
86% Malturop
10% Weyermann Munich I
4% Caramalt

Mash probably too high at 67 but I think I lost a lot over the hour.
Pitched 1gm per litre and fermented at 10-12C from last Saturday week to Wednesday when it came upto 17 to 18 and then 17 when I racked it today.

Temperature control's pretty erratic here ..

cheers, jt
91% Malturop
5% Weyermann Munich I
4% Caramalt

Motueka and cascade

With the 34/70 slurry saved from yesterday - as per Jokings post at one stage. Got more good slurry than I need but that's only good.
Off to check Mr malty next !

First drainings in the boiler
After raving about how good 34/70 yeast is I've now got a Schwarz sitting in the fermenter since Monday and hasn't moved a single point! That's only 3 days but still, I'd expect something. I do have positive pressure in the airlock and what looks like signs of some krausen on the top (viewed from the outside). Any thoughts? Is it rooted, should I wait it out another day or so. I've done the swirl and raise temp from 10 to 11 to help but not holding my breath.
You got a ph meter Jacko?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service