Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holy crap mate, 1.76kg Roast???? You are definately a mad man!!
Hahaha I know but its only like 12% Hopefullyit turns out like Hoppy soya sauce!! Just about to go to 72 on this bad boy
lol @ 'only 12%'

12% roast is heaps to me, im still scared to brew my oatmeal stout I weighed up like 6 months ago and that only has 6% roast
Just do it it will be intense coffee and and bitterchoc and if you add the right crystal it will be mocha choc!!
Jeezus! I thought I was mad going with almost a kilo of roast barley on my Belgian Stout!
Yes siree, Thats why it took so much powder to get it to mash ph!!
Heres a tip dont use that much roast barley as you wont get it out of the lauter!! very very long brew day
Milled the grain for tomorrows Amber for the CBC

Pale Malt
Munich
CaraAroma
Melanoiden

Rakau, mash hop, to use it up
Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial and Columbus for flavour, aroma and dry hopping fun.

Chucking it on the yeast cake of the mash hop brown which will be bottled tomorrow. Hydro samples still taste a little like someone stole the hops, but with a surprising amount of bitterness. Interesting experiment anyway and it'll be interesting to see how it conditions in the bottle.
I wonder why people with a mill crush the night before? Personally I think I noticed a difference whenever I was milling the day or a few days before my brew, the mash didnt smell as good and the final product just didnt quite seem as good as it could be?

Think about bread, would you take it out of the packet and leave it on the bench the night before you wanted to make it into a sandwhich? The bread would be all crusty and stale, would it be right to assume the same for grain? And does this actually make a difference? Cos I guess if you left the bread out overnight and then used it to make toast it wouldnt matter!

Food for thought? scuse the pun ;o)
And does this actually make a difference?
I've done both and haven't noticed any difference at all. I now crush the night before purely to save time on the morning of a brew day.

As far as the bread/sandwich analogy goes, I'd it's more like saying should you mill the wheat in the morning before you bake the bread. I purchase flour at the supermarket!
And does this actually make a difference?

I've done both and haven't noticed any difference at all. I now crush the night before purely to save time on the morning of a brew day.

Same here.

Maybe if you left it a few months or something, but over night doesn't seem to matter.

Same here.

Same here. But I'd not leave milled grain more than a few days, just a gut feel. Some people says week(s) though.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service