Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94611

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll be the judge of that Stu:

27a Glen Almond St
Lynomouth
New Plymouth
to be routed through

Grey Lynn
Auckland

;)
You're using a bit of SO4 lately Barry. Kegging it all or are you bottle conditioning any ?

Wondering how anyone else finds SO4 bottle conditioning goes - I find it takes an age ...
it's all kegged.
Despite it seeming to get bagged royally here I still like it as a yeast. Only for English beers obviously, which despite having a real taste for all things hoppy and American, I still absolutely love.
Only just managed to throw this down - 3 days later.
3kg maris otter
400gm munich
200gm dark crystal
50gm carafa

30gm nz styrians @ 60
10gm EKG/5gm Pacifica @ 15 and 3

S04
I'm dealing to my Kolschy itch on Saturday!

5kg Kolsch
10gm Sauvin @ 45
60gm Sauvin @ 12
30gm Sauvin @ 0
S05
47 IBU
Had a chew of some tonight - tasty - but the mill has headed up SH1 to Tawa with the rest of the grain so I really will do the lazy Sunday bit.

Really is good to have some enthusiastic brewers in the (extended) neighbourhood, cheers chaps
An evening brew session as part of my desperate attempt to build up enough stocks for the holiday season!

RyePA - based on Reviled's recipe (grist very similar, everything else somewhat different!)
4kg Kolsch malt
1kg Rye malt
200g Crystal 60L
50g CaraPils
Mashed at 67 degrees

12g Nelson Sauvin @ 60
12g Northern Brewer @ 15
12g NZ Cascade @ 0
12g Riwaka @ 0
15g Pacifica @ 0

No-chilling so I'll pitch Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) in the morning.

Pre-boil gravity was a touch high, which makes a refreshing change (1.040 v 1.038 target). Aiming for 1.047 post-boil.

Also kegged an Ordinary Bitter, tossed a failed NZ PA (think i stressed the yeast, horrible plastic flavours) and did a fair bit of cleaning up. Busy night, now I need a beer! Good job I've got Greig's Ordinary on tap and tasting great.
That rescued 1272 is an absolute monster! I pitched on Friday evening and it took off like a rocket. Just checked the SG and it has come down from 1.048 to 1.012 in 3 days! Still some signs of fermentation, although it has slowed right down and the krauesen has collapsed.

This is the yeast that Shane gave us when we did a tour of Steam earlier in the year. Manufacture date was August 2008 so I pitched it into a 1 litre starter then pitched that into another 2 litres. A lesson to be learned - old yeast is still usable, given the right treatment.
I did a bit of research into what the motherland of IIPA use as ingredients. Not a lot as it turns out: "2 row" and "Crystal 20L" as well as "CaraPils". Not that much late hops either - which I found interesting as I normally have at lease 200g late in the kettle and 200 - 300 in the dry hop.

So... this 2 Row that they talk about. I had a look at all the US maltsters website and the values vary a bit, but at the end of the day the average colour measurement for it was 1.8 degrees Lovibond: 3.6EBC. About the same colour as "Pilsner Malt".

So... I figure... what's in a name? Just because it's called Pilsner malt: it doesn't mean that you have to make Pilsner out of it! So, I have come up with the followinr recipe to see if I'm right or wrong.

Original Gravity: 1.074 (1.070 - 1.090)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.020)
Color: 21.65 (15.76 - 29.55)
Alcohol: 7.83% (7.5% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 146.9 (60.0 - 120.0)

Ingredients:
7.7 kg Global Pilsner
.6 kg Caramalt 33
85 g Columbus (14.2%) - added during boil, boiled 90 min
60 g Centennial (9.7%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
75 g Centennial (9.7%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Mash @ 66 degrees

wlp007 yeast @ 18 degrees.
Here here!! Pilsner Malt? Well I make ales out of so does that make it Ale Malt?
I got a sack of global pils about 6 months ago and used it for ales, in fact I didnt even brew a lager or pilsner with it! its great in everything and I totally agree, just cos its called pilsner malt doesnt mean you cant use it for ales!! Its the best pils malt ive used out of wey bo and german pils, adm and aussie!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service