Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94598

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, regular choc. The hydro sample didn't seem over-roasty, we'll see how it goes. I might have to send you a bottle, you being the Brown master and all.
Written up a few recipes over the last few days out of boredom.

Brewing this porter this weekend, similar to one I brewed last year with a few tweaks. Hop additions are only pencilled in at the moment - dunno what's in the fridge but the amounts will be the same, varieties may differ.

Shitty Porter

69.9% NZ Pils
11.7% Munich II
8.7% Pale Crystal
5.8% Black Malt
3.9% Choc Malt

20g Southern Cross @ 60
10g Columbus @ 15
10g Amarillo @ 15
10g Columbus @ 0
10g Amarillo @ 0

Wyeast Pacman

1.054, 43 SRM, 46 IBU, 67C Mash, 20L

Jumping on the 'small IPA' bandwagon ;-) saw that Ballast Point do a 3.5% ABV IPA that goes from 1.043 to 1.016 - so I'm aiming for something similar in mine, sounds like a good FG to carry the hops, I'm using a decent amount of Munich and crystal to add some malt complexity and body to hold up to the IBU. ETA on this beer unknown at this point.

minIPA

77.5% NZ Pils
12.5% Munich II
5.0% Pale Crystal
2.5% Dark Crystal
2.5% Melanoidin

21g Southern Cross @ 60
20g Simcoe @ 10
20g Amarillo @ 10
5g Nelson Sauvin @ 10
20g Simcoe @ 0
20g Amarillo @ 0
5g Nelson Sauvin @ 0
20g Amarillo dry hop
20g Columbus dry hop
20g Simcoe dry hop
10g Nelson Sauvin dry hop

Wyeast 1056

1.043, 70C Mash, 60 IBU, 20L

Inspired by the breakfast adjuncts in the latest BYO mag. Was tempted to get some maple into this beer bu it might go a bit OTT, will see for the rebrew though, def not going the bacon route though. ETA also unknown.

Big Breakfast

65.5% NZ Pils
9.2% Malted Oats
7.5% Flaked Oats (home toasted)
5.7% Choc Malt
3.9% Medium Crystal
3.9% Roast Barley
3.7% Amber Malt
3.7% Munich II

19g Southern Cross @ 60

100g Coffee - into plunger with minimal water and added at kegging.

Undecided on yeast - possibly 1056

1.056, 31 IBU, mashing for 20 mins at 40C then 60 mins at 68C, 20L
Why not go the bacon route Glen?? Could be tasty ;o) lol
Key word being 'could' haha.
Whatve you got to lose mate? Or should I say, what have your mates got to potentially gain when you palm ruined beer off to them? haha
Haha yeah, second one sounds about right.

I could call it 'meat and two veg ale'.
LOL, you could dry potato it too maybe?
Just mashed in on a Belgian Blonde Ale

5.0kg Bohemian Pils
250g Wheat Malt
150g Melanoidin
500g Table Sugar (inverted & added post primary)

Motueka 28g @ 60min
Motueka 15g @ 15min

Wyeast 3522 Ardennes (built up with 1.5L starter)

Mash until converted @ 66C
90min Boil
Ferment starting at 18C then slowly up to 22C over first week then second week at 22C
No water adjustments

OG 1.067
IBU 23
Brew went well today, certainly a nice day for it. Beat the hell out of going to work that's for sure.

Sparge was very slow for some reason, took about an hour to run off 28L. Brewhouse efficiency was up from 75% to 80% which I think was due to the mash out. I seem to get a 5% increase in efficiency when I mash out.
Looks good Mr C. Will be interested in what you think of the Motueka in this. It should compliment the yeast nicely.
I was half way through a 'pint' of Brewjolais when I decided I needed to brew this beer. Motueka tangerines and the Belgian phenols should compliment each other nicely. I still wanted to brew this beer to style so the late hop additions are fairly restrained.

My next beer will be a Tripel using Wyeast 3787 with basically the same grain bill just more pils and more sugar. If I like the Motueka in the blonde I'm thinking of stepping them up a little in the Tripel.
Added the inverted sugar to this Belgian Blonde last night. Boiled 500g table sugar in about 300ml of water with a pinch of citric acid for 20min. Cooled it to around 20C and poured it into the fermenter.

There was still a decent size krausen and the smell has just changed from fruity to fruity-phenolic. Temp has crept up from 18C to 20C in the first 4 days of fermentation. So far so good.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service