Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just ordered that book on Amazon, along with Radical Brewing. Sweet!
Nah I wouldnt worry about the lacto, its over rated it will only lower the ph of the beer by fuck all as denim said the Ibu would kill it off and so will the alc at a rate over 2abv, So majority would have to come from pedio which it does.
Just mashed in my 3rd attempt at the Hallertau Maximus clone. Damn I love this recipe!
I'm interested in the recipe if you don't mind sharing?
Cheers :) shoulda searched...

how long is a piece of string?  Are you thinking Scottish Scotch Ale (e.g. Traquair House Ale / Belhaven Wee Heavy / McEwans Scotch Ale) or US Scotch Ale (more like Renaissance Stonecutter)?

Or, like Her Majesty 2010, a bit of a Belgian-Scottish Ale.

FYI, that was (rounded):
84% pale malt
6% candi syrup
7% caramunch 2
3% carafa 2
7.5%abv and 23ibu (all Golding, jsut over 1g/L at 60 and 15min)

For the traditional one, I'd go with something along the lines of 98-99% Pale and 1-2% Roast Barley with a 3 hour boil for some hardcore caramelisation and about 4:1 to 3:1 in the OG:IBU stakes.  It's something, along with Baltic Porter, that has always really got me going.

For the american-style... you'll find a million recipes online.

Smokey Bandit

(smoked best bitter)

4.4kg Maris Otter

300gm crystal

350gm smoked malt

50gm pale chocolate

18gm Southern Cross @60

30gm Simcoe @10

35gm Simcoe @0

Wy1469

what sort of smoked malt is it? Assuming Weyermann it will be very very subtle, lending a hint of citrus, and a nice combo with those hops I reckon.

I _knew_ you were going to call it "subtle" ;)

Actually I'm not sure, but I'm guessing Weyermann - got it from Mike at Brewers Coop.

well, Barry, you know I won't get out of bed for that little smoke malt... especially that puny little German stuff.
I'll bring you a bottle in Feb so you won't have to get out of bed.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service