Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, may have some extra cash shortly, maybe time to look at mash tun or kettle.

probably kettle first, current one struggles to hold 23 litres at a good boil but the insulated pail tun will cope with 5kg plus a bit

What's the opinion on what's out there ?

The 40 litre urns from trademe - Dan, don't you have one of those - what's the deadspace, how's the 2000w element manage to get a boil going ?

Mr Houghs 55 litre polarware - would you dare drill a hole to fit an element in that ?

Converted keg ?

I'm staying electric, I know we've had a great summer, but I'm going to stay inside the garage where it's gunna be warm in winter

any good tips, tricks, hints or good buys out there ?

cheers, jt

Views: 1431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DG - Where did you get the copper for the chiller ?
I was out at lunchtime looking at 15 metre coils
prices from Zip Wholesale - $350 and Mico - $200

Any better prices out there ?
Just rang Chesters Plumbing. They have 15metre coils (9.5mm) for $130 +GST. He said "cheaper than retail". Seems to be true.

MOOHAAHAA. Went to bathroom world. Told them I only wanted 9m, they gave me a quote for $87.50. Went back armed with quote, which turned out to be for a whole coil. Got 15m of 9mm pipe for 87.50.
A place that sold tools and engineering supplies and stuff in Manukau, Auckland. I can't remember the name but can get it if you like? Invoice will be around somewhere.

It was a 15m coil/9.5mm for about $140 incl gst. It was a bit of a hunt around to find a decent price, some of the places want a ridiculous amount for it. $350 is stupid overpriced, I reckon around $150 is a decent price.
OK, I was looking at 12.7mm
That's the 1/2 inch, the 9.5mm will be the old 5/8th inch

Time to reprice !

cheers chaps !
Oooops sorry, mine was 3/8ths, and I think was around 40ft.

The metric <-> imperial conversions in my head aren't that flash :-P
Seems that 15 metres is the common coil length

Any preferences for 9.5 vs 12.7mm tube ?
Does 12.7mm give greater surface area to chill with maybe
According to the Americans for 10 gallon batches or less 3/8ths is fine.

There's quite a bit of info about it around, esp on the American forums such as homebrewtalk.com.
Hell!!!

http://morebeer.com/search/102204?PHPSESSID=50f25fb72475b47a97

Morebeer immersion chillers. All made up, landed in NZ and ready to start chilling for less than those prices.
Yes Stu, close and worth consideration.

Looks like landing a 50" 1/2 inch one for about $200 - $220 depending on the xch rate on the day.

But 15 metres of 3/8 inch coil locally for say $140 plus fittings and no waiting ?

Which model was yours - are those hose fittings standard that fit the local standard ?
I had to change one fitting - cost me about $5
Depends on whether you want to risk your own bending and coiling, compression fittings etc. for me it was worth the extra $ for less hassle, less risk, less time... and I didn't start all-grain brewing until it all arrived, so wait time wasn't a factor.

bl**dy hell. everytime i look up at the screen i'm looking at a photo that's pointing straight up ed's nostrils!
Does ed need one of those wizzy ear & nose hair trimmers ?

I need to check out the neighbour - retired engineer with an alladins cave - loves to tinker and generally won't do anything unless it is 110%

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service