Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dont worry I had 5 Tuis at the Soccer on Saturday!!
I had two steinlager last week and quite enjoyed them. Have they changed their recipe? I tasted hops. No malt though.
Yeah, I think Mike mentioned that NZ Breweries called in at Brewers Coop earlier in the year to buy this year's bag of hops, and this time they got an extra 2 kilos....

I own up to using Steinies and Stellas as 'guzzling' beers, can't bear to waste a homebrew or craftbrew to just quickly quench a thirst.
Nick - if you want a good homebrew to quench thirst, IMO, a cream ale is ideal, quick, cheap, easy to make, low abv, dry and quaffable!! Give me one over a speights any day, its just sadly sometimes there isnt much of a choice
another to add to my ever expanding 'gotta brew' list!
Have got a recipe you can post up? What's the cream in reference too??
'cream' is for some reason in reference to corn, or flaked maize.. If you check out the BJCP its a low ABV beer with a low FG and a big chunk of corn in the grist, I use around 20% and its quite tasty IMO, allthough my recipe is more of a pre-prohibition style cream ale, where as todays version would probably just be base malt, corn, sugar, and a bittering hop - but that doesnt sound as tasty does it ;o)

Cream Ale Mk II - OG 1036, FG 1007, IBU 26
2.49kg Golden Promise
720g Flaked Maize
90g Munich II
90g CaraPils
36g CaraMunich II
180g Cane Sugar

60 - 5g Nugget 11.6%
15 - 15g Amarillo 8.6%, 12g Simcoe 12.2%
0 - 12g Amarillo, 12g Simcoe
Dry - 8g Amarillo, 8g Simcoe, 8g Centennial

US-05
I've been playing with this style too, but using Pils/Pale Malt, Cara-Pils and Wheat, then single hopping it to around 35 IBU.

Couldn't find any flaked miaze (tho i note brewers coop now have some) and tried a couple of brews with conrflakes, which worked out quite well in a pinch.

Its certainly a great easy drinking beer with a nice summer feel to it.
Cheers guys, that sounds really interesting. I'm adding corn via DMS at the moment :-P I think I prefer this method...

Anything commercially available?
Im sure they didn't have amarillo, simcoe or cent pre-prohibition haha.

Face it Tyler, it's just an extra-pale ale :-P
Nothing commerically available at the moment in NZ I don't think.
Apparantly centennial is suitable for preprohibition beers Glen, but no, no amarillo and simcoe :oP

But I still dont consider it a pale ale, the corn is obvious, and its very dry, too dry for a pale ale, at least in my mind a pale ale would finish no lower than 1010, and more crystal...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service