Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I agree. Note Bene is one of the best NZ beers I've tried recently.

Bummer, the thought of that beer tipped out is horrifying to me - even though I know it'll be tipped out more than any other beer we ever make.

You should try it side-by-side with pinetarsol (sniffing, not drinking!)... they're actually nothing like each other. I only know this because I've done this, after someone else suggested it. We both agreed that it's more coal tar soap.  Possibly some calamine (but we didn't have any on us). Pinetarsoal is very resiny, piny (funnily enough).

I prefer it warmer than it is on tap. about 8-10c... 12c even.

Well spent a few days in Rotorua, stopped in to see Nigel and Paul working hard on "Brew", their soon to be new craft beer bar! Set up from what I could see is going to be awesome, with a superb location to match!! I must admit I was a little gutted it wasn't open when I was there, but it's given me alot more reason to head back down those ways when it does open!! Cheers for showing me round guys!!

Crossed the road and got a few bottles of Patriot from the bottle shop, enjoyed out of a wine glass in my motel room - Damn!! What an awesome beer - delicious balance! I understand theres a fresh batch around either now or soon, so I suggest you all get out there and try it!

Just back from an extended Mt Bike ride and had a Radler from Waldhaus*.

OMG as a post ride thirst quencher it really works!!!

And I HATE low alc beers....... pretty much sculled the whole half liter.

First time I tried one how they are meant to be drunken, before this I had only tired one of the Monteiths (that I biffed half way thru it was so horrid) and a sip of a Radler at the SOBA event on Tuesday, neither had me impressed until today when I flogged myself on the bike beforehand.

*Disclosure

I import Waldhaus, so might on occasion have a bit of bias if ya know what I mean! ;o)

Good to see you found the joy that is hashigo zake today! Such an awesome bar. :-)
(i was the clown talking to dom when you left)
Good to see you found the joy that is hashigo zake today! Such an awesome bar. :-)
(i was the clown talking to dom when you left)
Last night, Crouchers Pale Ale at Wine Cellar in St. Kevin's Arcade. Holy shit it's tasting better than ever I reckon! Dank, fruity hops. Suits the dark, grimy nature of the bar perfectly! Get in there dudes, it's tasting soooo good right now!
Well it's mothers day and im busting ass in the kitchen after a very late night ,  drinking Hud a Wa right now  and for lunch for Mum &  wife on offer is some Captain Cooker , Pitch Black ,Taieri George or some Hopwired..... no doubt they will want more and the fridge will get dealt to again !  It's getting a little embarrassing come recycling day
Stopped at The Malthouse yesterday, and had the Mash Up. It was a decent drop. Some may disaree, but i found it to be a bit fruity. Which is not a bad thing.

Having finished this, i decided to go on an urban safari to find the ever elusive Hashigo Zake Chris mentioned to me. This unique establishment was hidden away on Taranaki street, i would have missed it if I would have kept looking at at an amazing sight that i would not go into now.

Having lived in Asia for my formative years, At Hashigo Zake i felt quit at home and comfortable. Nevertheless, a mixture of Japanese and craft beer is not something i would usually expect to see, especially in Wellington. I tried Hopwired for the first time n this pub. What a great beer this is! I had a tasting of Rex Attitude, and think that Stu was spot on in his formulatin of this beer. However, it is something i would only have on special occasions, and not in great quantities as. The smokey/peat like flavors were amazing. One could easilly forget he is drinking a beer with this drop, and imagine he is having a fine scotch whisky.

I wrapped up Hashigo Zake with a pale ale from Golden Bear. I think it was the same one I bought in Mapua for the North Welly tasting. Mind you, i am a bit of a hop head, but still appreciated this beer as it was nicely balanced.

Chatted for a bit to Dominick, he seems like a good guy, and I think it is amazing that Wellington has two great craft beer pubs. I will be going there again.

Don't forget The Hop Garden, Bar Edward and Bruhaus. Plenty of craft to be had at these places too (and that isn't the end of it).

Thanks for the props. Brewing another batch this week, I'm thinking I may want it just a shade drier but really stoked with how it turned out (and yes, it is a "special occasion" beer... but every day is a special occasion!!).

On Sunday I cruised the auckland Craft beer options, and got a bit caught out by excellent deceptively alcoholic beers.

So a pint of Hud-a-wa at GB, then a doodle down to Golden Dawn for a few Stuntmen. Three pints and mothers day turned to munted day. Both those beers are so sneaky with the alcohol,with the malt coverering the bite with a big brown blanket. I had a little spin out half an hour after getting home. Mean.

Drinking ?

Very unexpectedly and sadly a couple of beers at home with Brother Bob, back in a flash from Abu Dhabi  with Mum passing away this morning.

The pale with the hop regime borowed from Joking, 15% Dark Caramalt (just love that malt) Sauvin to bitter, Pacifica and Mot @ 20 10 & 1 - sweet & spicy. Only hints of the 3 Boys Golden that he used to lap up but after 7 months in a beer desert it's close enough ...

Little Darkie which is the project to brew a 3.5% Pot Kettle for his planned return in July. 2:1 Cascade and Sauvin. Not as beefy as the beer it's modelled on but it's got enough hops to hide the flaws for now.

Cheers chaps, jt

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service