Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sitting round the table at Michael's place this arvo munching on sausie rolls chips etc

Sampling a range of the latest north welly brews then some fresh us imports care of our host

Bells Two Hearted IPA - very smooth loving the cenntenial there (some of my previous attempts brewing with cenntenial put me off Im keen to have another try now!)

Bells Hopslam - very nice the name says it all

Mikkeler/Brew Dog I Hardcore You - wowser this one packed a punch with lashings of hops,hops,hops

Having had my 100% of my RDI of humulus lupulus I think I will sleep well tonight!

Cheers Chris 

Yes, those two Bells were good, love the Two Hearted for it's drinkability - um, if a 7% beer has big drinkability

The Golden Bear was good too, brew unknown though,  even more drinkable.

It prompted some discussion of their fresh wort kits and how they've turned out - anyone brewed one and got feedback ?

Think I've gone past my RDI then Chris, keg ran out during the Strudel, put the keg of mild in from the Cascade Cones / Sauvin pellet  brew day in the fridge, it's good, txt if passing and pop in for a pint

cheers, jt

Just cracked open a bottle brewed from the wort kit.  Boiled it up with some extra hops; about 20 grams each of Mot and Riwaka for about 5 mins.

It is slightly hazy but poured with a decent head that is leaving some lacing on the glass.  Smells OK, sort of juicy, bitter orange.  Has a strong hop bitterness on the palate but could do with more malt...that is probably my fault.

A port stout, 3 years old, courtesy of the generous Mr Reviled. Because I'm in case swap mode and tasting things closely, I thought I'd give it the writeup.

I let the bottle warm to about 12 degrees after a week in the fridge to sink any floaties that might have appeared in the three years since bottling. Opened with trepidation, as I'd been given dire gusher warnings. No such problems though. Poured a dark black, but bright, with blood red tones you could see as it pours. More carb than I'd expect given the settings on Rev's CO2 reg, though apparently this is one of his earlier brews, and bottle conditioned, so that explains it. Tan head that vanished pretty quickly, little to no lace.

The nose is milk chocolate coated raisins. Nothing else I can detect. It's great.

The taste is similar, but different enough to make you think about it.. I've settled on fruit toast. You know the stuff that comes in the purple and white plastic bag? Tip-top maybe? That stuff. Eaten while drinking a hot chocolate or something. As the beer came up in temperature in the glass, a lovely spiced note started coming out. Not much bitterness to speak of, no hop character.

Mouthfeel was probably a little on the thin side... for a stout. Very acceptable though. I guess that must be the bottle of port? And as I said above, slightly higher carb than I expected, which made it about perfect for my tastes.

Overall, it was damned awesome.

Cheers mate!

Cheers for the feedback bro, glad you enjoyed it!
I'd ask for more, but I'm aware that for that to happen, you'd be missing out!
Chris's Hop Metaler, and Matt's Amber:

These are both excellent beers. The Hop Metaler served to assuage my hoping mad taste buds. I could not find a fault in this beer. I loved it!

In kind, Matt's beer was spot on! I generally like very hoppy brews, but really enjoyed this beer. It seemed very true to style, and very well-balanced.

Great beer guys!

Few random pints at Hashigo and Maltys

Coronado autunm harvest ale - not what I was expecting but ok

Emmersons Bird Dog pale - Nice tasty pale ale

YB Rex Attitude - Interesting smelt like pintarsol and burnt bakelite clearly not to my liking - the first beer I have ever ever purchased at the malthouse had a couple of sips and couldnt drink a drop more gutted!

I would like to hear what people who have enjoyed this beer thought about it?

Epic Pale - Ahhh my old friend

You appear in relatively good nick to post a report after that and so late Chris ?

I don't handle the keyboard quite so well after a few good pints !

I had a bottle of Sparky's Robust Porter - also have a bottle of his oatmeal stout in the fridge

After 3.x% beers it's quite a change to try something, well, robust. Plenty of bitterness which is a must for me a darker beer. really enjoyed it

Had a bottle conditioned darkie of my own and it was very very thin in comparison. Maybe I need to up the carbonation in my lighter weight beers ?

Yeh my beer selecting skills werent really up scratch last night I kind of put myself of after a few bad choices so didnt really drink much :-(

Went to Late Laughs comedy show at SanFran Bath house brilliant havnt laughed so much in ages Rhys Darby is one funny guy!

What is on tap at the Malthouse today? I may make a run into the city to have a few in about an hour if anything interesting is on tap.

We were at the Malty last night.  Interesting NZ beers on offer included Moa Black Power chocolate wheat; didn't get much wheat out of it, def chocolately, 3 Boys IPA; had a glass of this and it was tasting good, 8 Wired Big Smoke tasty when cold but developed quite an usual flavour and aroma when it warmed up, sweet, Rex Attitude; has a tasting glass of this complex beer...You can definitely smell and taste the peat, it has that whiskey aroma and, in my opinion, you can smell the alcohol as well.  Also had the Note Bene from the bottle.  I really like that beer and have bought some for the cellar.  Am certain it will only get better.

It is ALWAYS worth stopping at the Mlathouse!!  They did, of course, have Epic and Tuatara APA and a few Fullers.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service