Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Had a few commercial beers this week just gone:

Mikes IPA - not too bad... Quite boozy, and dont really dig that character - massively fruity though. Very well hopped.

Epic Oaked Armageddon - A lot oakier than I was expecting. Not the most sessionable drink, but hugely complex from the vanilla on the nose to the lingering interaction between tannic oak and hop bitterness. Interesting.

Steinlager Original A lot better than I was expecting. Had it at a work thing on Friday - was keen to try after a discussion on here about how to brew it.

8 Wired iStout Quite a floral hop aroma on the nose almost berry like. Very slick on the palate, reminds me of my RIS that had 20% Oat malt in it. Not bad at though - easy to drink for its strength.

Speights Summit
Another beer for the work do. It actually had loads of hop flavour on the palate which remind me of Pacifica. Not bitter enough to carry those hop flavours so the impression was sickly sweet. Don;t know why they call it Summit if they're not using Summit hops.

Liberty Summit IPA Very bitter - and a good display of the new Summit hop variety. Very dry and bitter with grapefruit and tangerine citrus anlongside a resinous palate with hints of passionfruit. A very sessionable Imperial IPA, alas a few glasses is enough to topple the pissdness level. I'm not sure how long the name will last though... it might have to get changed to Liberty timmuS IPA... or Summ!t - I like it!

Also had my English Levitation ESB type Ale at a 60th through my Angram - it was awesome. Everyone loved it - and I can't wait untill I figure out how I can set this up at home permanently.
nice work Joe, I hade another bottle of Mike's IPA on friday night and the Oaked Armageddon also - the oakiness is interesting but one was enough (straight into a regular armageddon).

I plan to mount my beer engine onto a shelf right next to my kegerator, then run a line through the side of the fridge into the keg. Will investigate the LPG cask breather. When I want to move the engine I just unscrew it and take it wherever I want.
yeah - if you make one up and it works, I'll buy one off ya...ps you need to send me your address....
Went to my local, Caroline's Celtic Arms, on Friday night and they had some bottles of Harrington's SobeRing 1% low alcohol beer there. Nice label, proclaiming that it was brewed for the cast and crew of Lord of the Rings and was blended from their stout. Being a Tolkein fan since I was young I had to have a bottle, and I must say that for a 1% beer it really had some taste, a bit like a thin stout but definitely the best tasting low alcohol beer I've ever tasted. BeerStore order arrived this morning, so a real Stout this evening, an Epic Thornbridge Stout.
Had a sample of my malt monster yesterday, and despite it only being in the keg for a week and having to strain hop material through my teeth, I think its going to turn out exactly how I hoped!! Quite a pungent dry hop aroma yet still subdued by the 1469, rich malt aroma underneath it all, firm chinook bitterness up front that cuts through the malt and lingers, yum!! Cant wait till this beast is ready!!
Drinking ?

Just milled, got to set up for a brew tomorrow, Mr Cherry's B-Sharp with lots of changes.
I just hope the hop substitutions hang in there because the P-Sharp I tasted was an excellent combo

having a couple of pints, late hopped mild brown and late hopped brown
probably have a mild brown to finish
bit of a brown night really ...
Two interesting beers lately - the Beechworth Oak Age Imperial Porter and Pretty Things Stout.

Brought the Porter back from Aussie. It was quite reminiscent of the Poter Noir but oaked in Shiraz barrels (the wine the Beechworth region is known for). It def had that sour bret taste. Initially I was totally unsure about it but, it grew on me. Not much of an Imperial Porter flavour to it though.

The Pretty Things came back from New York with me. They are from Cambridge in Massachusetts. The bottle was what appealed to me...sorry to say it. Awesome label. The beer was a little too molassassy...Is that even a word? Too sweet, dark sugars but with some hint of soy like my last failed homebrew. Always good to try something new but wouldn't rush back.

Enjoyed all the beers I had (in small quantities) at the Beervana launch - Valley Brewing Pale; wouldn't be my first choice but an OK beer. May needs a bit more malt and hops. Kaimai Rye; interesting, slightly spicy wheat beer taste. Tuatara APA; an instant fav. PKB; what a way to finish. I am convinced it is not as hoppy as the first one...
Last night courtesy of Soren and Martin Bridges, had an 8 wired Big Smoke, damn thats a good beer, specially for the sort of temperatures nz is having at the mo, big woody smoke aroma on the nose, a lovely porter up front with more smoke on the finish and more lovely woody notes, yum!!
Liberty Brewing SUMM!T IIPA.

Jesus fucking shit my christ this is a MONSTER
Monstrously pungent hops, SAVAGELY bitter. My tongue is curling up as I raise the glass to my lips.

Cheers Joking.
Awesome, was that out at Hallertau Barry?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service