Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Monteith's Dopplebock Winter Ale

I should have known better.

It is not awful, but it really does not represent the style well.
I love the name - Doppelbock Winter Ale. So which is it then?

In the past I've found it fairly tolerable. Not tried this year's yet.
Don't get me wrong...I do like it better than a Tui, or a Steinlager. In all fairness, as far as Steinlager, Tui, an dother mass produced beers go, this one is a higher alcohol percentage. However, the flavor just is not there for me. It is oxidised, the chocolates are stale, and the aroma is weak.

Having said this, my wife thought it was ok...weird since she only likes the ciders I make very rarely.

I will not be buying this again, and I think it has nailed the coffin in Monteiths for me. Heck, even Speights makes me happier.
I agree - it tastes like nail polish remover. I have 5 unopened bottles in the fridge after taking an hour to struggle thru the first bottle. One of the worst beers I have ever tasted!
According to Beer & Brewer Magazine "A robust brew, faithful to it's Bavarian origins........"
Haven't tried it yet.
Definately an Ale, and definately not a true Doppelbock, but I personally have fond memories of that beer as I had myself a 6 pack when Enzo was being born haha, I brewed a 7% doppelbock in memory of that moment and it was worlds better than the monteiths one, if I do say so myself, allthough I doubt that Monteiths use 95% Global Munich and ferment cold over 2 months with a lager yeast, but then maybe they do?? hahaha
Had a glass of my Hell Hopped Cream Ale last night, basically just 10 litres of 3.6% cream ale with only a FWH addition in the kettle and then a 110gm Dry hop, now this beer has been in the bottle for 3 months, but who says BIAB, excessive amounts of hops, and flaked maize can cause chill haze??? I was so amazed at the clarity of this beer that I had to take a pic to prove it, apologies for the poor quality cellphone pic

http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/photo/hell-hopped-cream?context=user

Quite an amazing little beer really, pungent hop aroma, citrus, mandarins, hints of pine and resins, but up front its very delicate, soft smooth bitterness, subtle malt character, creamy mouthfeel and insane drinkability!! Im also surprised at how much flavour ive got from the dry hop addition!!
I would like to try some! - BTW I have that Oak Armageddon when you want it.
Mean, youre a legend mate!! How bout if I swing past next saturday on my way to New Plymouth?
is that the sat after this one? Yippo should be ok.
Thats the one mate, 26th of this month :o) Will bring something along for you to try!
After work drinks at the pub tonight...Pitch Black is an amazing beer and I'm generally not big on very many dark beers. 10/10 in my book - just as well I'm not a serious beer rater as a perfect score would be a big no no. Also, Green Man Keller is bloody excellent - it's not really lager weather but this is so flavoursome, it doesn't matter. Well done bottom of the South!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service