Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yea, it was. I had the third one just for the sake of it and didn't really enjoy it
Is three pints of mild too much for a Thursday?

Followed by three pints of mild on Friday night just to 'knock the bugger off'* and get the new keg in the fridge. I feel a couple of dry days coming up

* Apologies to Sir Ed
Few tastings at lunch today:

Croucher cherry bock - Um... Lets just say there was cherry on the nose and it all went downhill from there. Didn't really enjoy it, a bit medicinal.
Croucher pale ale - Very nice, lots of orange and stone fruit up front.

Epic / Thornbridge Collaboration Stout - Thanks to the Malthouse Wizard for sharing this sample. Straight out of the fermenter. It's a tad young at the moment. Bit of roast and chocolate. A little hint of phenol which I suspect will disappear with age. Looking forward to trying this proper in a few months time.
Little Creatures Pale Ale...

I was underwhelmed by this beer. OK, so it did have anything that just came out and said it was a bad beer. Instead, it was about what the beer lacked for a pale ale, namely taste and nose. Overall rating? Meh
Murray's Nirvana Pale Ale...

This was better than the Little Creatures Pale Ale. Although it is not a particularly great beer, it is ok. The bottle I had tasted a little out of date.
Cherry Brew Spicey Wheat (getting toward the end of the keg now)
Moa Original
Side by side with taste off with La Trappe and La Crappe
Twisted Hop IPA out of bottle. Slightly crystal-heavy (maybe showing age) but still very nice
The Best Laid Plans (Belgian Pale) on handpump. really floral, almost lavender character now coming through.
Highland Park 18 yr old single malt. Man I love this stuff.
Cascade 'premium' lager...

I do not know why I bought this. I generally do not like lagers, and certainly would not have bought it if I had known the price before it was opened. $9 AU!

It is OK for a lager, but not $9 AU worth.
My first proper taste of my Cream Ale with WLP-080, cold conditioned and carbonated, extremely fruity and alot hoppier than my S-05 versions, very dry on the palate at 1004 but still with a good malt character, allthough I wish it finished a bit higher. Very nice beer tho and im extremely happy with the character of the WLP-080, the beers only been in the keg for a week and its almost bright!
Quick brown ale with JT last night... it's a funny old beer but is reasonably drinkable once it warms up. More importantly it is always a pleasure to catch up with someone in the 600+ club (approaching 700 now).

Today I'll be eating (yes, eating, that's not a spelling mistake) some cherry tomatoes and baby carrots thanks to that visit. And on Friday I'll brewing with the Golden Promise he dropped around.
Chap, they're snacks not a meal.
You should be munching those through your work day
Or letting the boys poke them in each others ears, or whatever else boys do with food they don't like
It's been a very slim, but enjoyable beer week - drinking wise

Enjoyed Stu's Brown - dark Mild ? - mentioned above, on Tuesday.
I don't know my hopping would be as astute Mr M, if I ever tried that.
Though my current keg is late hopped with a less discernable helping of Super Alpha
Enjoyed the dregs of the fermenter when I kegged 689 - Mot Brown - the same night.

Looking forward to a pint of last weeks kegging, the Hallertau / Cascade / Motueka Pale.
It was a bit sweet and lacking bitterness when I sampled it last week, put that down to Pale Crystal instead of Caramalt
Hopefully it's conditioned up well in the last week

From there it's probably a Rakau Pale - last 10 or so pints before it's gone - waiting impatiently to get that latest Mot Brown in the fridge

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service