Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like your Simcoe was stored rather poorly at some stage in its like. I've had some bad experience with Craftbrewer hops previously... some Cheesy Centennial to name one. My Simcoe that I got from them was all good... but it was in the 450g bag.

Best to go straight from the supplier... Oh wait... I did!
And on that note I just dry hopped my WBC IPA and took a sample, 1013 which is at least 6 points lower than the last 7 or 8 beers ive done :o) Yay!!! Not tasting bad either...
Sounds like a recommendation for using good fresh New Zealand hops !
MPA by Renaissance

Lots of hops if Mr Griggs article in the Malby paper is true - 250 hops per L = 125 per bot. As you'd expect, massive bitterness but check it out - its a great use of kiwi hops in an American style
it is an interesting calculation, yet total kg's used is still less per litre than Armageddon at only 42 per bottle
Drinking MPA also, what's yours like?

Mine smells like caramel, tastes like caramel too.

There are actually hops in this beer?

Not fresh by any means, drain pour unfortunately, thoroughly disappointed.

Sticker on bottom of bottle is 0076, BB 16Jan10.
Mines was pretty good - I got peach and blackcurrant on the nose, some delicate peach taste and huge bitterness. Sounds like your bottle was a dud 'un.
I've peeled all labels of my bot for re-use but Jan10 sounds about right
Yeah, there was nothing 'imperial' about this at all. Absolutely NO hop aroma, and only the slightest touch of hop aroma.

Waste of 12 bucks. Fail.
Just checked my other bot (for a friend). Batch 0076, exp jan 10

Mine still tasted okay, tho i will admit to being a little let down by the aroma. Expected more from a hoppy beer. Drinking one of my own dry hopped beers now and the aroma is a lot bigger. Still not drain pour tho - the MPA, not my beer
I had MPA fresh from the keg that was at regional a couple of months ago. Here's what I thought:
It pours a murky amber with almost no head. Huge grassy hops crawled up my nose. I wasn't a fan at first, as it was so grassy and earthy that it reminded me of Steinlager x10. Once it warmed some orange peel and caramel emerged while the hops turned peppery and earthy.

In the mouth it was intensely bitter, the hops were so strong that they were peppery and are the main feature in the flavour. Hops turn lemony as the pepper fades, and at 60IBU (estimated) it was big, bitter and dry finishing.

Sounds as though they didn't get this out quick enough...
I think so - I'm sure in the last SOBA newsletter it was supposed to be out end of may?

That's too long to leave an 'imperial' IPA in my opinion, and please don't mark the bottle Best Before 2010, there's no way it will last that long.
Attending a quiz night this evening at the local Cosomopolitan club. You know these places, they sell "Mates" beer and other assorted cooking beers. Nightmare right?
What to do what to do.
I could
a) drink nothing......
b) force the swill down the gullet and revel in the "culture" and camaraderie of it all.
c) Cunningly smuggle in a couple of bottles of craft beer from Moore Wilsons (just round the corner), and surreptitiously fill an empty pint glass, knowing full well few people in the establishment will have ever smelt a hop before.

Option c looks pretty good at the moment

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service