Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'm thinking of doing some small experimental batches (around 10 L) in case it's not what I like and I'm stuck with 20ish L and the cost of the batch being cheaper.

I don't really want to tie up my big fermenters for a small batch and have that much headspace in the fermenter (although it probably doesn't matter too much with the CO2 'blanket').

I was thinking of getting a couple of the water cooler bottles that are around 15L but the couple I've looked at are recycling code 7 which is 'other' I believe, I'd prefer them to be PET - recycling code 1. I thought of the smaller glass carboys but I assume they're kinda expensive and I'd probably break them haha.

Does anyone here do smaller batches, and what do you ferment them in?

Cheers.

Views: 502

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bought some ten litre PET buckets from Moore Wilson in Wellington a few years back. Not sure if they are still there. I would imagine most plastic shops should have something that would work out for you.
Don't do smaller batchs myself. Takes the same time, I'd rather have the 20l. Thats actually a pretty small batch in the scheme of things but I take your point - it's a long lasting keg when it's not the flashest beer. But you could just do a "Brendan" and tip it out (never done that myself, I'd still rather soldier through it for the lesson).
Speaking of Brendan, where the heck is Mr McKenzie lately?
Most water cooler bottles are made out of polycarbonate and will be just as good as APET for fermenting in...
Cheers everyone.

I'll have to have another look at those plastic shops, nothing seemed to jump out at me while I was there first time round.

Yeah I know what you're saying Barry. I'd rather suffer through drinking the whole batch than suffer seeing it down the sink haha.

There are some beers I'd like to brew but to save space, money and (a little) time on. Like I wouldn't want to brew a batch of beer I've never had, pay twice as much for ingredients, tie up a big fermenter, have to store around 55 stubbies compared to about 27, spend twice as long bottling and taking runnoffs all to find out I didn't like it in the end haha. Plus I really like just brewing, so the brewing time doesn't bother me much.

Thanks Fairlane, half the crowd says polycarb is fine and the other say it isn't. I think it would be fine for the 4 weeks the beer would be in there, but if I can find PET I'd rather use it to be on the safe side.

Anyways, back to hunting, thanks everyone.
There is the 20 litre poly pails, although they may be a little big for what your after, cost roughly $20 and food safe, I use one for my lauter tun, got it from a farming supplies store!
Just an update.

Ended up buying a 15L jerry can, from payless plastics (turns out you have to go 5 friggen times before you see what you're looking for). It's HDPE so it should be good enough for a longish primary.

Found out the Stowers plastics sell a 15L plastic fermenter, the same as the black lid fermenters but shorter. They're only open 9-5 Mon-Fri so I can't get one from them.

I saw Mike at Brewers Coop - what I should have done in the first place - and he said he should be able to get the one that Stowers sell for me.

Yay, problems solved. Thanks all.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service