Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi Guys,
I know there have been various discussions on the topic of brew kettles. I am still on the hunt for a good stainless steel kettle and I wondered whether anyone might know of a NZ supplier of a kettle with tap already fitted. I can't find one. There are some suppliers in Australia that are reasonable competitive price-wise, but the cost of the freight rather blows that option out of the water.
Also, since I am just busy getting set up for full mash brewing, a number of folk have suggested getting organised to do 40L brews from the outset, even though I'll start with around 25L. It has been suggested that a brew kettle of 70L total capacity would be the way to go. Do you reckon this is about right, or overkill?
Any thought most welcome.
Cheers,
Ian

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yea, he used to list them with a Buy Now price
He still lists: $285 buy now. There are about 5 available. I agree with Dan - these urns are awesome. The size is ideal for all imaginable applications.
Could you augment the heating element with the addition of gas heat to hasten the boil - maybe that's a dumb question, but I imagine it can be a frustration having to wait too long for the boil to commence - also does the urn keep a nice rolling boil?. Or is it really a simply matter to tweak it up with a bigger heating element?
We have been talking about a kettle, but would an urn make a useful HLT too?
Cheers,
Ian
I think they would be ideal for for a HLT (hot liquor tun), I use the same one for both.

You wouldnt be able to use gas with it as the electrics are in the base,

Mine takes around an hour after sparge to get to boil, a bit longer than I would like.
The boil isnt the most vigorous boil ive seen although it does the job especially with the lid partially on and tilted the boil increases.
The easiest way would probably replace the existing element with a stronger one, you could also put one through the side of the kettle probably not a good idea if you use an immersion chiller and no false bottom.
Dan..Did you replace the dodgy looking plastic tap on it or just use it as is? Does it take a hose clipped over it or did you have to modify anything?

Cheers for the idea
Cheers Dan - I didn't think of comining the urn to work as a HLT and then the kettle. Maybe this is just what I need to get going and if I replace the kettle ultimately with a larger capacity one or whatever, then the urn still does a fine job as the HLT. Like Ged asks, is the tap OK that it comes with?
Cheers,
Ian
This model looks slightly different than the one ive been using for the last 2-3 years although the tap looks exactly the same, nothing wrong with the tap its SS just the handle thats plastic it has a reasonable flow rate and just enough thread out the back to attach a Pot scrubber and hoseclip, or pick up tube.
It looks like this guy lists a few Urns at a time for a much higher price, and Auctions one for 1 $1 reserve as a marketing ploy to make the Urn look Cheeper. If you look at the expired listings of "hot water urn" you'll see that hes sold a few for as cheap as $120 since September.

Now here is the nitty gritty... I have an Auto bid up to $120 on it. I'm letting you all know incase the is a sniping was at the end of the listing! If anybody else is interested in this listing - let me know because I don't want to snipe over any of you guys (I'm quite happy with my kettle but 40L looks much more appealing).
Hey mate, benifit of getting a 70 litre pot now, is you can do double batches, say, cube one batch and ferment the other, then a week later bust out the cube of wort...

I only have a 30 litre pot, but im looking to upgrade, small pots are good to start with but you quickly want to upgrade, well, at least I did :o)
Just in case anyone in AKL has missed this auction:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Antiques-collectables/Alcohol-related/Beer...

50 Litre stainless steel Keg, with gas regulator and fittings.
From Sevilla, Spain.
Cruz Campo makings

Was at 11.50 @ 9pm.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service