Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Stainless Steel Fittings & Prices - Scotsman nearly has heart attack!!

Where do you guys buy your stainless steel fittings such as weldless ball valves etc? It all started out with me 'thinking' of turning a 2 x round rubbermaid coolers into an HLT & mash/lauter tun as per Morebeers setup. I thought I would be smart and save on large postage costs etc by buying the coolers locally....Got the list from morebeer for false bottom and all parts etc - approx $150US +$50US postage - which works out at around $332 Kiwi...+ another $330 for 2 coolers from payless.Ouch.....So I went looking on grainandgrape - On its own a 1/2 inch ball valve+1.5 inch of threaded stainless tube + a nut is $57Kiwi + postage...Half inch hosetails are approx $28 EACH !!!...
Is that normal? It just seems to be a ridiculous amount of money for stainless steel products? Do we have local suppliers or is this the cost of entry for the bulk of fittings...A kind chap in bunnings today advised me not to use brass fittings as the acidic wort would leach metals out of it and eventually make me go blind :) Your inputs greatly appreciated...Thanks

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.anzor.co.nz/

I haven't used them myself but James P mentioned that he went to them for his ball valve
I bought a ball valve for my boiler from Plumbers World. Can't remember exact price - about $25 I think.
Slightly off topic, but the Brewing Network have just recently run a show discussing metals in brewing - worth a listen as it covers the corrosion/leaching stuff in great depth.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/membersarchive/bs_metals9-29-08.mp3
Yep used Anzor in Bromley. I think a 1/2 inch two piece ball valve was about $25 and the hose tail around $4-7.

Get online to their store and send a quote request. The guys are pretty good at replying.
seem expensive to me for the fittings they would be cheaper if brought from a stainless supplier like steel and tube stainless or corus or stainless alloys or hd process i buy a lot of fittings for the stuff i build and dont pay nearly that much. as for your MT/LT bits can't comment don't know whats all included
Thanks for your input chaps...Bit the bullet and bought bulk from morebeer and will pick up odds and sods from the suppliers you listed. Cheers

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service