Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey,

Are there any BIABers on Realbeer? I've got a 40l pot and I'm planning on trying a BOAB AG. I'd like to try and figure out what kinds of beers I'll manage comfortably.

Will I be able to get a 23l batch of 1060ish for example?

Views: 249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I brewed my first all-grain last monday, found out that I wouldn't go anymore than 32 litres with about 5kg of grain for a 23L brew. Came very close to spilling!
Thanks bro, what fg did that yield?
73.9% according to BeerSmith
Though if you rinsed it with say a litre of hot water, you'd probably get a couple more percentage points. I'll be trying that for the next batch.
I'm just getting my sh*t sorted at the moment. After all the reading I have done, I have decided to convert a 50l keg I was given, and I am only looking at making 20 - 23 litre batches for kegging.

Only have the tap to complete and I'm all go!
Great stuff JP,

Where did you fellas get the voile? I went to fabric world in Papanui and they didn't have anything that looked the part.

PS. JP, I'm still interested in the Iodophor, if you have some left. I'll email you to organise it. Apols for all the delays
Spotlight, something like $6.99 a metre, its a pretty common material. We got 1.5m of white (and lots of questions from nosy old women!), but only really needed half that. I might make something like a tube-sock with it for dry-hopping though, as the IPA with 90g of Cascade was pretty messy...
Gold, thanks.

With all these new AG brewers we'll have to start looking at a beer swap soon.
Did you get the nylon / polyester voile? I tried them and they said they only had cotton.
100% Nylon Swiss Voile, white. They had tons of it, all different colours. It was on the entrance side, behind the counters in the middle of the store, pretty clearly marked. Got it about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Also, just re-read your question Rusty and realised you didn't ask for efficiency... oops! Sorry, got a FG of 1.050 from 5.35kg of grain in 32.75 L of water, wouldn't want to go any more than that, as it was about a cm from the top!
awesome, that's plenty big enough for the beers I want to brew at the moment.
You will be able to do concentrated batches to get an OG of 1060, but youll need to use more grain than expected to take into account grain absorption etc...

But if youre looking at 5% beers with 20-25 litres, 40 litres is fine :o)

I recently did a Bourbon Porter in my 30 litre pot, a concentrated mash and got an OG of 1062 and 22 litres final volume, had to top up a bit, but it worked out well in the end...

Go for it you good thing :o)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service