Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi All
(Hopefully I didn't miss a thread here, I searched first!)
Just wanted to see if anyone has rhizomes available this year? I hear there is a shortage, however if there are any suppliers anyone knows of I would be keen to given them a go!

Maybe we can get a list of suppliers going? I see in the old forum that Stephen @ Hallertau may have been one of them, any ideas?

Cheers

Views: 17324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tell me you are moving to New Plymouth, Dan. We need more brewers here!
Where did you get it from mate?

I harvested mine a week ago. It is a Cascade seed, and the flowers were definately ripe. They "crinkled" when you sqeezed them and the lupulin would fall out leaving a Grapefruit - Lemon type aroma on my fingers. I harvested 600 grams, and dried them for 2 days down to 170 Grams. I vacuum packed them for probably 2 brews.

When I packed them, the aroma and oil content was outstanding. They appeared to be absolutely normal - as you would expect from bought ones.

I had a plant of smoothcone aswell (the wild varety from Riwaka) which yielded an amount of hops, but the aroma compared to the Danscade was shit -so I didn't bother with them.
Haven't decided yet, but probably on the 5th of March.
Would you be able to post a photo of the mature hop flower once they are ready? The smoothcone flowers are noticably different in appearance than the Danscade. They are long and "unround" in a way - they look flat, like they have been stood on. The Danscade looks plump and round and stocky, with a considerable amount of lupulin as compared to the Smoothcone.

I wouldn't mind a bit of a hop rhizome exchange with you if you are interested Crabbey?
You are right - no need to rush! I'll put some pics up when I split up my Smoothcone rootball.
Wait end of winter to chop up the rhizomes, and get them in the round during spring.

My wife was the one that bought me the posts and stakes to get my hops going. In fact we killed the wistera vine and I'm training the hops to grow in it's place.
Good Call - Hops look better, Grow faster and have a much more practical use compared to that other crap!
'aroma compared to the Danscade was shit?'

Now thats an Aroma I would like to get in my beer!! then I would understand it better when people say my beer is shit!! Damn you shouldnt of chucked them!! LOL
I still have them if you want it - there's nothing wrong with it - just not enough for a brew. The smoothcone was just way too grassy for my liking.
Will I still be able to get the Shit smell into my beer? only Joking, Joking man what have I been drinking?
Bro ill have em if you dont want em :o) I love that grassyness! Yum, makes it smell so mega fresh!
Come and get it bro - it's yours... first in, first served!

Nah - they weren't a healthy stock... the pre hop flowers dried out in the heat of summer, and made for abismal hops. Also, there is just not enough for a brew... you might be lucky and get 50g maybe...?

But they were really not a healthy flower. It's all good though - the root stock is in great condition after this year. You can have that if you want - cut it in half...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service