Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Who out there uses gypsum?? Where do you source it from, and how do you use it??

Richee

Views: 875

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's used to harden water, usually to make water similar to the high sulfate waters of Burton.

I add it because the Calcium aids in the enzyme activity in the mash, my water is quite low in Ca I believe.
Calcium and magnesium sulphates are referred to as permanent hardness, carbonate and bicarb (or the calcimu and magnesium salts of) as temporary. Both contribute to total hardness.

Boiling for 10 mins or so will remove some of temporary hardness (or "soften") the water. Adding Gypsum actually increases the amount of hardness.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me, I must have misread that.

Which particular beers would you use gypsum in, for example?
Some guy with a broken foot told me that plaster of paris is exactly the same thing as gypsum. He's been doing it for years (though, come to think of it, maybe that's why his bones are so brittle???)

He suggested calcium chloride as a good addition to look into. If I remember correctly it drops pH and brings out sweetness and hop character, without increasing bitterness perception like the gypsum does. He said to beware with calcium carbonate.

Just a few ideas to look into further.
why beware of calcium carbonate? as long as one does the calculations it should (and is) fine. i use it in stouts, because i found that i had occasional problems with head retention (which can be a pH related issue if its too low) in these beers. if there is, say a 500g measure of one of either black patent or roast barley in a brew length of 20L then i use 2tsp caco3 and 1/2tsp caHCO3 in the mash, and 1/2 and 1/4 in the sparge water. works for me.

i really ought to get myself some calcium chloride though - ideal for lighter german style beers. i read something once that described this chemical as "the rodney dangerfield of brewing salts". i had to google that to get it.
I don't know if brew shops sell it, but calcium chloride is also used for home cheese making and I got mine from here:
http://www.cuisineaccessory.co.nz/images/Curds&Whey_Price_List_...

I have got away with doing no water additions for my pale ales but I've convinced myself that I'll need to for my next brew (a porter).

I'm going to add some calcium chloride for the hardness, then I'll use baking soda to bring the pH back up to range.
Steve - go for the calcium carbonate, as per Ed's suggestion above. I can still remember the first time I tasted his porter... magnificent.

And - in regards to the no water additions so far - if it ain't broke, don't fix it (unless you want to experiment - don't we all?).

re: cheese making, are you going to Kieran's cheese and beer tasting at Regionals? I'm in tonight.
are you going to Kieran's cheese and beer tasting at Regionals?

Nah, I'm feeling poor - damn kegging purchases :/
sorry, that was an unfinished sentence...

Beware in pale beers because it raises pH. I might actually look into it for darker beers too Ed. I've brewed some pretty mean dark beers over the last two years and I'm not sure any of them are great head retainers.
Tony, Gypsum addition is ideal for Bitters and Pale Ales!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service