Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First taste out of the fermenter is showing some promise. The sauvin is definitely there but not dominating. If anything I think the caramunich II may have come out a bit too much, the malts don't balance out evenly. Time will hopefully heal that.

Oh I had an OG of 1.058 and I was expecting an FG of about 16/17, it's down to 1.011. She's dry! Possibly due to mashing a bit high? 68'C?

Certainly not the mash temp ?

Hows the littl'un going ?

Nano's at 1.009. I'm hoping to bottle tonight. It still has a bit of a worty taste to it but I wouldn't say it was watery or ultra thin. It might be ok...

If Chris can do a ten thirty something brew we should have a Lo-OG tasting at Anniversary or Waitangi Day ?

The Sauvin I have is fucking rank, burnt rubber and wet tree bark.

The Sauvin I had about a year and a half ago was awesome, and a combo of 1:5 Sauvin:Columbus was one of the best hop combos I've ever tasted.
I agree - brewed with it over the weekend and it's particularly pungent, swept up everything in its path.
I'm guessing you wouldn't recommend getting a kilo of this year's crop then?
To be fair I haven't tasted the finished beer yet, hopefully it'll be awesome. It's just very strong.
I would buy a small amount of the new harvest first (2011 I assume you're talking about?).

Like I said '09 was awesome, '10, for me anyway, is almost unusable. So I guess 2011 could go either way.
I go hot & cold on sauvin.
A little goes a long way and a keg's worth of North Welly Golden Ale is going to be all I need for awhile.
I found that fresh, first week or two was really good, if a little subdued, but now it's getting a bit pungent as Mark said

No problem using the rest up as a bittering hop, that's where I like it best
I like Nelson Sauvin. It's may favourite bittering hop.
Even for bittering I can still taste it. In an APA/IPA/IIPA it would be fine though.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service