Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

American Wheat last night, not our best brew session. Slow-as runoff from the mash, pretty close to a stuck sparge - so took frickin' ages to get it done. Efficiency was a good way off what we usually get too, which I guess might have been because of the sparge problem - not sure if it's just the wheat that was the problem, or if a lower-than-usual sparge temp (70C instead of 78C) had a part to play in that? Pretty murky wort as well, even with a good vigorous boil and a dose of koppafloc - anyone else have that problem with a large proportion of wheat?

Recipe was:
50% NZ Pale
50% Weyermann wheat malt
24 IBU Pacific Jade @ 60min
35g NZ Cascade @ 0min
50g Motueka @0min
US-05, fermenting at 19C (couldn't be arsed with getting a liquid yeast).

OG 1.042 (miles off target), so I guess it's headed for 4-4.3%abv - should be ideal for a summer quaffer if it turns out okay! Tasted pretty good going into the fermenter so I reckon it'll be all good, just might need a good cold crash and fine to drop out as much of that murkiness as I can.
It’s getting to be about hefe time again, so I brewed one last night. Nice and simple:

2.25kg Wheat Malt
2.15kg Malteurop Pils
0.10kg Melanoiden

10g Pacific Jade @ 60
15g Pacifica @ 15

18 IBU

Pitched the slurry from a 2L starter stepped up from an Emerson’s Weissbier.

(I also took the 2L, 4%, 35IBU starter beer and dry hopped it with some NZ Cascade. The sample I had was a bit harsh, but maybe some time and more hop aroma will help. And if not, well, it was primarily meant as a starter anyway.)
I love how you've cultured the Emerson's yeast while also culturing a bit of a Richard emerson look ;-)

I think my beard was well bigger than RE's (last I saw anyway.)

Sadly, however, I finally succumbed to Sarah's wishes and gave it a trim last night.

I've still got the Richard Emerson haircut though :) 

Here's a little summer quaffer that I've just bottled.

IPA

Taget Gravity 1.060

11.64 kg   Pale

0.71  kg   Crystal

0.20 kg    Toasted Pale

Target IBU 66.0

80 g  NZ Sticklebract @ 60

45 g  NZ Goldings @ 55

25 g  NZ Pacific Hallertau @ 30

36 g  NZ Cascade @ 25

10 g  NZ Sticklebract @ 20

25 g  NZ Pacific Hallertau @ 7

36 g  NZ Cascade @ 6

10 g  NZ Sticklebract @ 5

Fermented with S04 due to not being able to find Gervin English Ale yeast in time.

OG 1.060

FG 1.012

Alc % 6.4

As a little side project I took 2L and did a trial ferment with some untoasted oak chip at 1g/L.  This rate was the result of some extensive trial work with different types of oak boiled in water and the extract added to a commercial beer at different volumes.  Anyway... it came out pretty well giving an extra layer of flavour without dominating.  Don't know if I'd bother repeating though.

Fermented with S04 due to not being able to find Gervin English Ale yeast in time.

I thought gervin - which was nottingham repackaged ? - was defunct ?

And there wasn't much difference with SO4 anyway ?

Well I managed to get some eventually so it must still be around...

And I have found quite a bit of difference in my EPA using the different yeasts...  haven't compared them in other beers however so can't say that it's always different...

I have always found them quite different... I

I loved Gervin, a nice mildly fruity yeast that allows hops through, but it became really hard to get. 

S04 I've never really nailed... it has a really slim temperature range (drops out below 16c and throws a fair bit of isoamyl acetate if you even contemplate getting over 20c - seems more pronounced in dark beers)  

but... I know wonderful things can be done with it as Barry Hannah has shown me the light.  The best S04 beers I've tried have probably been a bit more memorable than the best S05 beers.

Yeah I got mine from BrewersCoop in the end...   And got it really quickly also.

Unfortunately due my impatience, on the brewday I went out to my mailbox to see if it had arrived, and I didn't check the box cause I got distracted by a courier delivery of S04 etc..so I used that instead.  Then of course when I checked the mailbox in the afternoon and it had been there all along.  doh!

Well... everyone has been brewing Mini IPAs, Red IPAs, Belgian IPAs, etc etc...

I just kegged a MiniBelgianRed IPA.

Suck on that!

Tastes real weird too!

How mini ?

i heard talk the other day of a nano ...

It was like 1.040... wich is about as mini as I'm capable of!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service