Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brewing a Dubbel today. The pots are chilling in the bath as I type.

I decided to go with a yeast blend on this beer, against Mikes advice, I just had to try it.

I've brewed with both 3787 and 3522 this year and I really like them both. I also tried mixing the two beers in the same glass (a Tripel and a Belgian Blonde) and liked the result. I suspect that 3787 will dominate but I'm hoping that the 3522 will fill in the gaps at the lighter/sweeter end of the yeast character of this beer. Once again, time will tell...

STUBBEL DUBBEL (in honour of Movember)

Style: Belgian Dubbel
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.014 (estimated)
IBU: 22
ABV (%) 6.4
Batch Size (L) 22

FERMENTABLES
4.5kg Pilsner
500g Munich Malt
150g Caraaroma
150g Melanoiden Malt
150g Caramunich Malt II

(added after 4-5 days)
200g Table Sugar (inverted)
200g Golden Sugar

HOPS
25g Motueka @ 60 min
15g Motueka @ 15 min

YEASTS
50:50 blend of:
Wyeast 3787
Wyeast 3522
How you fermenting this one? Mix of yeast cultures in one fermentor or a co-ferment? If your using a mix I bet your beer will be all Ardennes as it will be 30% in to attenuation before the 3787 is up and about especially if its a coolish 22 and less ferment but I suppose it will be which ever yeast is the most best condition. It will be intresting to see what it is like im pretty sure it will taste freckn damn fine, whats your mash temp?
Both yeast in the one fermenter right from the start. They're both in the same starter too.

I'm planning on fermenting it starting at 18C and slowly up to 22C over one week, then free ball for another week (approx 22C). Same as my previous ferments with both of these yeasts.

Mashed at 65C, was fully converted after 45min (the first time I checked it) but it had 15min of recirc after that. Deliberately didn't mash out either.

Smelt awesome, I think I'm in love with Caraaroma...
Its a nice malt aye but with all my begians like dubbels I have made they have all been missing the one thing and I couldnt figure it out untill I used and tasted Special B, It was like a penny had dropped. MMMMft4cH version 2 had it in it and Kierans Regionals Special Bitter, I tried them for the first time over Beervanna weekend, and there it all was, Special B!!!
Oops! That 'Golden Sugar' should read 'Golden Syrup'.

Just finished a pint of  this Dubbel fermented  with 50:50 Wyeast 3522 and Wyeast 3787 and it's tasting great.  She's a little cloudy though which seems to be a feature of 3787 in my brewery, my last attempt with 3787 took four months at 5C to drop clear!

For those who are interested, the yeast character is quite interesting with the 3787 being the first yeast to impact on the palate with the sweeter 3522 character backing it up and lingering in the finish.  Quite a nice combination of yeasts in a contrasting (rather than complimentary) kind of way.

Just about to add the yeast.

Its going in a pin for my work xmas party, to be served on the hand pump

4.5kg Halcyon pale malt
0.35kg Crystal 80L
0.07kg Caramalt

8g each chinook and centennial @90
8g each chinook and centennial @30
16g each of Centennial and nelso sauvin @5
16g each of Centennial and nelso sauvin @0

I'll dry hop with about 30g of hops, centennial/ simcoe/sauvin

US05

OG should be 1.055
FG 1.012
50 IBUs
Just weighed the grain out for this one tomorrow. Playing around with the English bitter style at the moment, trying to find a solid recipe for my house beer. This one is an attempt at something like Townshend's Cathcarts NTA.

Stress Ball Bitter

95% Global Cologne
5% Cara Malt

25g of Motueka at 60min
10g of Pac Jade at 15min
10g of Motueka at 15min
15g of Pac Jade at flame out
25g of Motueka at flame out
25g of Motueka Dry Hop for 5 days

S-04

Targeting 20L of 1.044, ~4%, 39 IBU's all up.
Nice, very nice.
Shame I'm retired and no longer live in NZ.
I'd get a job at your work place just to drink your beer.

If that brew doesn't convert them to developing a taste for real beer, there's no hope for them.
Continuing English Style Ales named after the Wu Tang Clan members this weekend its the Method Man Best Bitter

90% Gladfields Pale
10% Dark Crystal
18IBU Pac Gem @60
13IBU Pac Gem @15
1g per l Fuggles @0
Wyeast 1028
After a few weekends off, a big weekend. Today was an english best bitter, tomorrow two lagers, a Vienna and a NZ pils. New to this lager game, so should be fun.
Just nice simple lager for me today:

5kg NZ Pilsner Malt
200g Light Crystal
200g Carapils

16g Motueka @ 8.6%: 60min
20g Motueka @ 8.6% 10 min
30g Motueka @ 8.6% 1 min

Yeast: Wyeast 2007... from Dunedin Malt Houses' fresh shipment, date of manufacture 01 Nov 2010!! You can't get any fresher than that!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service