Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

SOBA, New Zealand’s consumer beer advocacy group, is pleased to announce the fourth annual SOBA National Homebrewing Competition.

Full details are yet to be confirmed, but keen homebrewers can expect entries to be accepted from the first of October, closing on the 22nd, with judging to take place on the weekend of the 30th of October.

As in previous years, the best of show beer will be brewed commercially by Steve Plowman at Hallertau Brewbar – a glittering prize indeed, in a competition where bragging rights are often the key motivation for entry.

Other prizes are yet to be confirmed, but homebrewers often enter for the valuable experience of having their beers critiqued by world class judges, with the feedback they receive enabling them to hone their brewing skills further.

SOBA have secured the services of some serious judging talent. Graeme Mahy (head brewer of 666 Brewing, and brewing consultant) has judged at the World Beer Cup – the ultimate international beer competition. “Even though people know about me being a commercial brewer, they often can’t believe that the fantastic beer they are drinking is made at home”, says Mahy. “A national hombrewing competition is important for a number of reasons - certainly the social aspects that go with a competition but also comparing brewing notes and techniques is also important.  Of course there's also the judging of your beers against others to see how they compare, but most importantly the possibility of 'bragging rights' for the next 12 months!”

SOBA was formed in 2006 in order to increase awareness of and appreciation for flavourful crafted beers. While not a homebrewing focused organisation, SOBA has many homebrewing members and
has always supported this great hobby.

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To be confirmed. Will be guided by the judges on this one. Basicly, Graeme and Geoff will call it as they see fit.
Hey! That NZBrewer's not allowed to enter is he?

On a more serious note, how many different beers are you allowed to enter per class? I am assuming it is one.
If he brews it at home, he can enter! ;)

You may enter as many beers as you like in the same category or subcategory. Hopefully we'll have the website live by the end of this week with full competition rules, but they will be very similar to last year.
OK, flyers have gone out today, sponsors/prizes are confirmed, rules are set in (semi-quick-drying) concrete, and most FAQs should be covered.

The SOBA NHC 2010 website is now live at: http://nhc.soba.org.nz with all the info available. Still to come, a couple more judge bios, a possible new (and very cool/unique) prize, and a confirmation that we will indeed be using the BJCP system for judging/points.

Official announcement and release going up on the SOBA website soon.

Cheers,

Greig.
How exciting! I start my planning now
For those of us newbies, can you give an idea of how many beers are entered in each category in years past?
Now that I can't answer. I know there were over 200 entries last year, but can't give a category breakdown. I'd suggest asking on the SOBA forum, as the previous organisers (Rob and Brendon) should have this info.
There was 155 entries last year. I have put some more stats up on the NHC website. I have collated 153 of the results by style... long story about the other 2. Anyway, it's rough enough.
http://nhc.soba.org.nz/results
Greig, can you confirm that we can fill out and submit forms now?
Well, you can, but since entries don't open until October the 1st, you'll be disqualified! ;) Check the rules carefully.

We also still need to confirm that paypal is working. Brendon (who developed the site) thinks it should be fine, but we'll need to run a test on it. I plan to do this well in advance of October 1, and will let people know if there are any issues.
My reading ability is a bit shite isn't it ... must have read that bit four or five times :o) For some reason I thought we'd be filling in the form and the beers weren't allowed to arrive before Oct first.
I've temporarily removed the entry form. It will be added back in time for the start of the competition.
All,

It's almost time - the opening of the entry window for the 2010 SOBA National Homebrew Competition is less than 2 weeks away. Entries will be accepted from 1st October to 22nd October. All the details you need can be found at http://nhc.soba.org.nz/. If you've not brewed a beer yet, there may still be time but you'd better get a move on!

This year the results will be announced and awards presented at a ceremony at Hallertau Brewbar in Riverhead, west Auckland on Saturday 13th November at 4pm. Sponsors and judges will be in attendance and certificates will be handed out to those winners who are present. Due to limitations on space we need to restrict attendance for the awards presentation itself, although anyone is welcome to join us in the bar for a drink afterwards.

If you would like to attend the results & awards presentation, please send an email to nhcawards@soba.org.nz including your contact details and the number of attendees in your party. We need to make it first come/first served and spaces are limited, so please only apply if you are sure you can attend.

We look forward to seeing many of you at the awards presentation but most importantly we look forward to receiving all your entries. Remind your friends that non-SOBA members can enter (although entry is cheaper if you are a member).

Cheers,

The Organisers

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service