Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

This beer is a bigger, pilsner'fied variation of a NZPA that I brewed earlier in the year that I really liked.  I'm not usually one to brew Pilsners but thought I'd give it a go with Wyeast 2112 while the temps are good.  It's still very young but I'm pretty happy with it.

I have a small confession to make about this beer but I'll save it until some feedback has come in.

I hope you enjoy it.  All honest feedback welcome.

Cheers

PILSNZER

Style: New Zealand Pilsner
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.013
IBU: 36
ABV (%): 5.7
Batch Size (L): 22

Fermentables:
5.0kg Bohemian Pilsner
300g Wheat Malt
300g Cara-Pils

Hops:
20g Nelson Sauvin @ 60min [23.0 IBU]
10g Styrian @ 15min [3.1 IBU]
10g Motueka @ 15min [3.8 IBU]
20g Styrian @ 5min [2.5 IBU]
20g Motueka @ 5min [3.0 IBU]
25g Styrian @ 0min [0 IBU]
25g Motueka @ 0min[0 IBU]
25g Styrian Dry 5 days [0 IBU]
25g Motueka Dry 5 days [0 IBU]

Yeast:
Wyeast 2112

Views: 111

Replies to This Discussion

Could it be carbonation - Ally said it disappeared when it warmed up - when it would have lost some gas ?
Yeah, I think it's a combination of carbonation and all the other factors that I mentioned. You'll find out soon enough though jt :-)
"I think it's the bitterness and dryness combining to give an astringent impression. I suspect others will disagree with this but that's what I think."

Thats what I thought it was, I didnt even mention an astringency cos to me it wasnt really truely astringent, just slightly for the reasons you state above...
I think jt might be onto something with the carbonation also. I'm slowly reducing the carbonation for the remainder of the keg to see what effect it has in relation to this.
Had this one whilst making dinner. Pours a very clear light straw colour, big frothy head. Tropical fruit aroma. Very fizzy, just a tad too much carbonation for me, quite a few burps with this one. Very firm bitterness, again a bit more than I like in a pils but that's just my taste, nothing wrong with it if you like a bit more oomph in the hop department. I got used to it as I drank the second glass. Quite a dry finish, would prefer more crispness for a lager, I wonder if dropping the wheat malt out would help? I see a lot of people use it for head retention but not sure it's really needed. Tried a few Bo Pils with just straight Pils and they finish up crisp with body and still have some head. I get some nice lemon and lime in the taste, went well for the style I thought. Good beer Mr C, cut through my spicy home made dhal very well.
Having this watching the All Blacks defeat Jonathan Kaplan at Rugby Park Hamiltron.
Beautiful straw blonde colour and passionfruit on the nose.

Amazing crisp dry hoppy new world pilsner. Plenty of passionfruit and goosberry hop character, lovely honey malt, really nicely brewed - clean and crips.

If anything the carbonation is just a smidge too much - it adds a dryness that just isn't needed in such a nicely fermented beer.
Its still awesome though, from someone who has never brewed a lager you and James P really set the bar high.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service