Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi Folks

I was brewing yesterday and my electric preserver that I use as my mash tun started having a fit and caused the house circuit breaker to trip.

I managed to get the brew done with a bit of mucking around but now I have no reliable way of heating my mash.

My idea is to upgrade the element and thermostat on it to something more modern and I was wondering if anyone has done this or if you might have some thoughts as to what I could do. I really want to keep this unit as it suits the size of my brews.

Cheers

Ron

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like your element has crapped itself - you should be able to wire in a new one. A hot water cylinder elemnt should to the trick?
Hi
I think you're correct, but what I'm thinking of is some sort of controller to hold the temperature steady. It was a bit up and down with this one. Can I connect a hotwater cylinder element to a thermostat and if so what kind?
Hey Ron, have you tried it on another circuit? I found that when I originally used my preserver on the house circuit it would trip.... found out that it was one of the heavily loaded circuits. Now running in the garage on the 20amp circuit has not issues.

Does it have an element like the HWC or is it a round one?

Cheers
J.
Hi James
Have tried all the outlets in the garage but seems they are all on the same circuit and Cat won't let me set up in the house( not sure why she likes the beer I make).
Do you know if there is some swanky setup I can retro fit to my Tun. Have you heard of Argus Heating in Phillpstown I heard they do elements and things.
I don't think the element is the issue they are easy to fit but its tying it up to a thermostat that I'm unsure about.The one I have is large and round.
Hey how's your bathroom going? I read somewhere here you were chopping firewood...does that mean you're finished. By the way we sold the house the day after the stout comp.
Congrats! That is bloody awesome (and somewhat sad) news about the house.

With my preserver I had to replace the thermostat plug for similar reasons, it was dodgy as hell and that doesn't mix with water. I ended up using a breville frying pan plug! :) Works a treat, but I have to manually check the water at the moment until I wired in the temperature controller.

Bathroom is nearly done, have the flooring, some painting etc to complete.
Good morning
I am interested to understand what exactly you have done with your plug?
Doesn't the thermostat plug have a controller in it? or have you gone with some thing that has more control? If so how do you bypass the plug controller?
I am interested to understand what exactly you have done with your plug?
I plugged the plug in..... :)

Doesn't the thermostat plug have a controller in it? or have you gone with some thing that has more control?
Yes there is a controller (thermo type switch) , but I turn that to maximum, and let the temp controller do all the work.

Alas my last temp controller went in the drink, so I at the moment I have to check the temperature manually.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service