Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

We have confirmed a date with The Twisted Hop to hold the second CBC on 24th April 2010 from 3:30pm until 6pm in the No 8 room. Of course we encourage you to try some of the Hops fine ales whilst judging is undertaken, not that you haven't already!

The style for this round is 13D Foreign Extra Stout as this is the closest to “Easter Bunny Chocolate Stout” you can get, please note the "Chocolate" is preferred over a tropical version.

13D. Foreign Extra Stout

Aroma: Roasted grain aromas moderate to high, and can have coffee, chocolate and/or lightly burnt notes. Fruitiness medium to high. Some versions may have a sweet aroma, or molasses, licorice, dried fruit, and/or vinous aromatics. Stronger versions can have the aroma of alcohol (never sharp, hot, or solventy). Hop aroma low to none. Diacetyl low to none.

Appearance: Very deep brown to black in color. Clarity usually obscured by deep color (if not opaque, should be clear). Large tan to brown head with good retention.

Flavor: Tropical versions can be quite sweet without much roast or bitterness, while export versions can be moderately dry (reflecting impression of a scaled-up version of either sweet stout or dry stout). Roasted grain and malt character can be moderate to high, although sharpness of dry stout will not be present in any example. Tropical versions can have high fruity esters, smooth dark grain flavors, and restrained bitterness; they often have a sweet, rum-like quality. Export versions tend to have lower esters, more assertive roast flavors, and higher bitterness. The roasted flavors of either version may taste of coffee, chocolate, or lightly burnt grain. Little to no hop flavor. Very low to no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full to full body, often with a smooth, creamy character. May give a warming (but never hot) impression from alcohol presence. Moderate to moderately-high carbonation.

Overall Impression: A very dark, moderately strong, roasty ale. Tropical varieties can be quite sweet, while export versions can be drier and fairly robust.

Comments: A rather broad class of stouts, these can be either fruity and sweet, dry and bitter, or even tinged with Brettanomyces (e.g., Guinness Foreign Extra Stout; this type of beer is best entered as a Specialty Beer – Category 23). Think of the style as either a scaled-up dry and/or sweet stout, or a scaled-down Imperial stout without the late hops. Highly bitter and hoppy versions are best entered as American-style Stouts (13E).

History: Originally high-gravity stouts brewed for tropical markets (and hence, sometimes known as “Tropical Stouts”). Some bottled export (i.e., stronger) versions of dry or sweet stout also fit this profile. Guinness Foreign Extra Stout has been made since the early 1800s.

Ingredients: Similar to dry or sweet stout, but with more gravity. Pale and dark roasted malts and grains. Hops mostly for bitterness. May use adjuncts and sugar to boost gravity. Ale yeast (although some tropical stouts are brewed with lager yeast).

Vital Statistics:

OG: 1.056 – 1.075

IBUs: 30 – 70

FG: 1.010 – 1.018

SRM: 30 – 40

ABV: 5.5 – 8%

Commercial Examples: Export-Type: Freeminer Deep Shaft Stout, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (bottled, not sold in the US), Ridgeway of Oxfordshire Foreign Extra Stout, Coopers Best Extra Stout, Elysian Dragonstooth Stout

Views: 228

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for solution, I decided to go with the easy way out last night and just added more of "secret ingredient number two", which will hopfully make up for not having chocolate malt. :)
Whats with all these secret ingrediants?? Come on guys, share the love :oP

Is it a rule that secrent ingrediants have to be revealed on the day?
Secret ingredient is normally my way of saying I can't remember what I but in my beer....

Crabbey's ingredients are normally from some form of fetish. (Let the smack continue!)
Wait, what pattern.... :)

The ingredient can't really be THAT secret, considering it's a chocolate stout....

I added lactic acid, then had to counter that with bicarb of soda, then forgot to add the CaCl4 then finally got the pH sorted.... so my beer will be shit.
"through methods not to be discussed here"

Come on Crabbey, thats half of the fun of this forum :oD
Underdog card is worth playing anytime, especially when you want to start the smack talking so early..... so do we expect to see a Clydesdale from you now? :)
Rev - you should start a new thread on the main page for brewing fuck ups that you've gotten away with! I've got a couple to add!
Haha, theres some good stories on here from time to time, would be good to start a thread for it, but I wouldnt wanna steal your idea mate ;o)
Chocolate bar? Soft drink? Prison cell romance of yours? :)
Hee hee, Crabbey's Chocolate Log... damn I'm immature...
Just kegged mine tonight.... well at least it looks brown.....

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service