Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Harvested my danscade plant today so gonna do a fresh hop IPA this weekend. Got 200g of green hops so think i'll just chuck em all in one brew.

Batch size 23L efficiency 65%

6.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 93.0 %
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.3 %
0.15 kg Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.3 %
0.15 kg Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.3 %

15.00 gm NZ Nelson Sauvin [13.50%] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
15.00 gm Super Alpha [11.50%] (60 min) Hops 18.3 IBU

50.00 gm NZ Homegrown Cascade (Green) [6.50%] (10 min) Hops ? IBU

20.00 gm NZ Motueka [7.80%] (0 min) Hops -
50.00 gm NZ Homegrown Cascade (Green) [6.50%] (0 min) Hops -

100.00 gm NZ Homegrown Cascade (Green) [6.50%] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops

May swap the sauvin and super alpha out for a single bittering hop, ive just got two near empty packets is all.

Anyone else used fresh hops before?

Any thoughts?
Dude. I need a bottle of this beer - it looks awesome!
15.00 gm Super Alpha [11.50%] (60 min) Hops 18.3 IBU

beaut - can't go wrong !

must admit that I've never popped even a dried whole hop in a kettle, let alone a fresh one
Is dry hopping with fresh homegrown hops safe? I wondered about that last year after finding aphids on my hops.
Maybe dry the dry hops? Dunno.

Nice looking recipe!
Is dry hopping with fresh homegrown hops safe?

Only if you take 'precautions' Mr C
What are these 'precautions' ? Boil the hops before I dry hop with them?
'precautions'

I was being a bit silly - sounds like lack of 'precautions' in Wellington last year with a bit of a baby boom at the moment ?
"precautions" = Hop sock. Get one of those flowers loose in the kettle and you never know where it will end up.
Depends how you drain your kettle, seen a few piccies of kettles with false bottoms and the flowers are creating a nice filter bed
I was thinking you should dry them before dry hopping with them (as opposed to not drying them first).
Yeah I thought about that too, think I might just leave them green for the sake of the fresh hop flavor. Think ill do a fairly short dry hop too, 4 days max.
I've changed my mind about that recipe. I say drop the Motueka and use your homegrown hops for flavour and aroma without any other varieties. It'll be a great beer and then you'll know exactly what those hops taste like. You don't want to be left wondering which hop had which flavour. Go Gizzy Green!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service