Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

This is quite amazing. See attached file (you may need to download it and open it with Adobe Reader)

The sooner this lunacy is challenged and defeated the better!

Views: 2443

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well done Greig. Short article but I think the point comes across.
Doeas anyone know, how much it would cost, to take this to court? It would obviously win, by the fact that a similar case for 'summer ale', was also thrown out. It would just be a matter of getting the funds together. Perhaps if we approached, other professional brewers, plus any other 'interested parties', we might get it together.

Greig, I like the article, but I feel the argument, that it was false marketing because, it wasn't true to style, goes a bit over most poeples heads. I think the basic fact, that it is a style, not a brand name, is all that needs to be said. Woops, ok, just read the Waikato times article, it is much better than the Dom post one.
I think the problem is that the Summer Ale thing was a different issue. No trademarks were involved (to my knowledge), it was a silly argument that someone may mistake one beer for another. That was silly, and was rightly dismissed. In this case, the trademark has been granted. That was the stupid bit. I have no idea what is involved in getting that reversed. I feel SOBA is best when it is drawing attention to these things and educating the public about beer. The actual fighting in court is probably best left to those directly involved in my opinion. It IS only my opinion though. :)
I hear you Greig and agree whole heartedly. But perhaps we could 'help' coordinate interested parties, who may have a vested interest in this. I am talking about the other minor breweries and even Lion Nathan. If the right people got on board and started talking to each other, it could be challenged. And in my view, it would win.

I sent a copy of the SOBA letter, with my name on it, to Gerry Brownlee, as head of Economic development, he is in charge of IPONZ. I am also going to raise this (and a couple of other issues) with my MP, I have an appointment to meet him in a couple of weeks.

Are there any professional brewers, reading this, that would have an interest in persuing this?
Nice!
And now those awesomely amusing (and riding a wave of post-controversy popularity) Aussies at Fush 'n' Chups have picked up the story. This might help to get it out to the general public also.

Cheers to our Aussie cuzzies. Have a sux-peck on me, guys.
Greig, love your work. You have done well to lift this in to the media, and I believe it is something to be defended for the future of beer styles in this country. Just because a style isn't being made in NZ right now doesn't mean it won't in the future. And did I read they trademarked Saison too? They didn't even get close to that style when they brought it out.

Has anyone done a search on www.ratebeer.com to see how many Radler's there are in the world. It seems to show only the first 100 in the search.
Hello everyone, thank you all so much for your support. We at Green Man really appreciate it. Greig you have been fantastic. If any of you are ever in Dunedin please stop in at the brewery and see me. Regards Jeremy
The support continues here are a couple more links.

http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com/2009/04/shameful-behaviour-fro...

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/1944295

wont belong before we see come people come on board that will have high profile or resources to make DB turn around like they did with the closing of the Monteith's brewery in Greymouth
I find this fascinating: a foriegn owned company that is a member of the brewers guild (oxymoron?) that deems itself qualified to own a style. (Is it true they are spokes person for the guild on customs and excise tax reduction? As if they want to see that happen.....) Please tell me if I'm wrong.
I've bought into a venue that has a contract with this crowd, (the previous owner used the venue on the deeds rather than their name, so as far as said bunch is concerned, it has to go the stretch.)
That said, I'd be up for a beer or two of theirs thru' our taps to please the punters. We have 16, so 13 being craft beer means the remaining 2 (or even three,) would suffer tall poppy syndrome, but allow us to cater for one and all.
As I've been reminded by the 'locals' several times, if it weren't for said products available, they'd go elsewhere. Up until our venue takeover, Lyin stuff was available on tap. These locals had no difficulty moving from Lyin Brown to 2wees: consequently, they'd have had no hasssle drinking craft products either. (There's nowhere else to go.....)
The big two are losing grip on their market and this entire issue is clear evidence of that.
My mother is from Austria, so I have drunk a lot of Radler. It's just shandy. Copy-writing a shandy is a farce. Do they know what 'Saison' is? Lets see if thet can produce one.
I will sell an Emerson's Pils 50/50 with lemonade and call it whatever I want. Radler-on.
M
Hello All, one point I would like to make. Green Man brewery only opened and did its first brew on the 18th of Feb 2006. We also only started making Radler Novermber of 2008. So DB talking about us using the trade mark from 2004 is incorrect as we didn't have a brewery at the time! Cheers

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service