Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I have brewed many styles over the years both professionally and amateur. During the early years there were two beers, hailed by so called critics, - low hopped, high alcohol (7-7.5%alc/vol) cloying, pineapplely, sweet finish, but immensley quaffable, they were Roosters Haymaker and Ngahere Gold, and somethng else brewed by the Cooper inpsired Dux de lux beers, brewed using 100% lager malt, lager yeast, at 15 degrees celsius, filtered with DE filters and force carbonated and served within three weeks of brewing. Well until today I didnt give that style much credence until i tasted a bottle of Harringtons Ngahere Gold. Wow oh wow. Whoever is the master brewer of this needs a thumbs up from all professional brewers. The hop bite is awesome! Gone is the sweet cloying beer of old, phoenix like the new beer bursts through with that higher alcohol punch but with it you get that awsome hop punch to balance the alcohol and weighty lager within.

This is an honest beer. Its not pretending to be something its not. Higher alcohol, lager, smooth, some bite . End of story. No aspirations of grandeur here guys! Awesome beer by a bloody good brewer. Well done Harringtons. And to the brewer responsible - Slainte. Gold medal in a class of its own.

Father O'Leary

Views: 319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely, my 'local' is the realm where you can get Tui tall boys and a small glass....never set foot in the place! :0/

Good news on Black Creek

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlboroughexpress/4809837a29347.html
Freaking impossible in AKL unless you live in Mount Eden or Riverhead. :-(
That is indeed good news about Black Creek, thank you. Since man cannot live by beer alone (?), they make an exceptionally good pizza too.
I agree with the anti-swilling sentiment, but I hope we may still 'quaff' sometimes (to drink heartliy)?
As for Fresh Choice, they really do deserve accolades for their beer choice, but it is true that you need TIME to find what you want - I know how well they hid the HB Maibok!
Finally I got my hands on this special batch of Ngahere Gold from New World Victoria Park. I'll have to second ( or third, or whatever we are up to) what Father has said, this beer is surprisingly well made.

Having judged a few beers before, I'd give this gold in a competition. It is clean, unbelievably well balanced, and amazingly drinkable for 7.2%. It is worth the hunt to get a hold of this one. Best before 5/12/09

It took me a few mouthfuls to get into it, as I had to re-calibrate my hop scared palate.

Damn this is good good beer. Thanks for the heads up.

Now off to finish the remainder of the 500ml bottle :-))))))
OMG!!! If you can get a bottle of this batch of Ngahere Gold, drink it and then follow it up with a bottle of Epic Mayhem, you will have a hop epiphany, possibly close to a spiritual experience. 8-P
Ngahere Gold was awesome. I'll always check out a beer that Pro Brewers recommend.

Is mayhem aailable in New Plymouth yet, Luke? I'll give it a crack. I loved it when it was on at C & B. Is it the same recipe, Luke? I went for Mayhem over Monks quite often. Mmmmmmmmmmm Monks is awesome.
Ah, I had one last night and frankly was wondering what you were all smoking. It was pleasant enough, smooth, malty, though cursed with evident hot alcohol. Turns out mine was 17/11/2009. I'll see if I can find some of the magic stuff.
Glad the stuff I was smoking didnt throw my palate too much Luke.... ;-) And chuffed you enjoyed it too. That particular batch was stunning. I arrived at work this morning to discover a case of Ngahere on my desk! I checked the best before and its 28/11/09. Could be same one as Greigs. I'm hoping I got the Gold I was talking about at the end of the Harrington rainbow....will report back after a full days filtering, tonight with one in my glass.... fingers crossed!

Chris
a full days filtering?
swot happens when you have to share hoses, fittings, then clean and sanitise the filter. feels like a bleeding full day by the time you 'finish'. Still using isinglass finings and gently passing large quantites of fined beer through polish filter cartridges as opposed to DE. Slow, gentle but niiiiiceee. All the best and enjoy the weekend.

Chris
If anyone's looking, I just picked up some of that BB5/12/09 Ngahere Gold from Liquorland in Newmarket. Not sure how much more they've got. Sorry Greig, I know that's not much help for you Hamiltonians!
Ah, but it is. Just had 5/12/09. Holy shit. I saw God. And I'm an athiest. You're all correct. Now I need more. MOAR!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service