Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Have seen the new Brooklyn hops are in stock at the  local, has anyone used them yet? 

http://nzhops.co.nz/variety/brooklyn 

Am thinking of doing a SMaSH with a pale malt base.

Any ideas of hop schedule?

Brooklyn is a big hop delivering high alpha acid with a generous weight of oil while its lower cohumulone provides a soft well-structured but solid bitterness. Sensory panels describe the flavours and aromas in the finished beer to be that of grapefruit, tropical and passionfruit.

Alpha Acids 17.5-19.5%
Beta Acids 8.0-10.0%
Cohumulone 26% of Alpha Acids
Total Oil 1.7 ml oil per 100gm cone weight
Concentration 94 uL Oil/gram Alpha
Mycene 22.2%
Humulene 15.2%
Caryophyllene 5.8%
Farnesene 0.3%
Citrus-Piney Fraction 5.9%
Floral Estery Fraction 2%
H/C Ratio 2.2
Other 10.9%

Views: 2685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I picked some up the other day, lookingforwardto usingthem.

If you've tried Garage Projects Hop Trial #2, then you'll know what your in for to some extent.

Would be great to hear your thoughts on them once you have brewed...

Wow.. they look worth a test ride.... big AA.

I wonder if the work better as a flavour/dry hop vs a bittering hop.

Which LHBS stocks them Rob? would like to give them a try also..

Thanks mate , will check it out ...

Brewing up the panhead supercharger clone this weekend but will defo look to add them in my next brew.

Care to share your recipe? One I've always wanted to clone. 

Brewers Coop and Wagon Brewing have them currently in stock also...

Got some from Finneys homebrew Emproium (Rated best HBS in the country by SOBA)
Here in Christchurch.

Hopefully he's got some left - I see a single hope double IPA coming... Missed out on Hop Trial 2 unfortunately but sounds like a good hop.

hopefully! :)

My thoughts from the Hop Trial #2 was basically its a good hop, but is better with some backup etc. it was just a little one dimensional, quite melon/grapefruit type thing, but too simple.

I have these and a bunch of left over hops from wedding beersies as well, coupled with an imperial stout to put down for ageing, so these might sit for a little bit.....

Cheers, good to know. I might get some Zythos in there for a bit of a backbone then. Thinking doing side by side  6L batches with my Citra clone and just switch the Citra and Brooklyn and probably drop my early bittering. Hopefully ready in time for the GKBF comp!

FW as per Daves comment I think the key here will be all late additions with such an insane AA% it's going to be the only way to get enough flavour in there IMHO. Think I'll go in 15, 5, 0 and a big dry hop.

After a bit of a discussion on the Grainfather page, with my next IPA I thinking of doing a good bittering addition at 60, another small one at 10, and then a big addition after FO once it has cooled to 80C, and then let it steep for ~20-30 minutes. Calculating the IBUs from steeping the FO additions at near-boiling temperatures is a bit hit-and-miss, hopefully doing it this way will give me a good predictable bitterness and a ton of flavour. And it means I can apply a liberal dose of Brooklyn without worrying about the IBUs going through the roof!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service