Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey guys just going over a recipe for my First IPA!! and if I am to do a 23L batch of Beer then my calculations are for a 6Gallon batch? and if so is it ok just to add the 5Gallon + 1Gallon ingredients together to work out a 6Gallon batch?

Second question...If dry hopping is optional and says "you can add a handful" what measurement is that? and always with about 4-5 days left in fermentation left you do it?

Third question.....How do you work out the IBU (bitterness?) level if not stated in recipe?

Last question......How many packets of dry yeast US.05 would you use? basing it on adding the 5G + 1G together, it would be 1 and a half??

Cheers Guys appreciate it. 

Views: 1486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would you use the Gladfields Crystal Light Malt for an American pale Ale or the medium? in my recipe it says use Crystal/caramel "20" malt...cheers.

use toffee or Pale Crystal, pay attention to the numbers Crystal 20 is 20Lovibond, if you basically double it you get 40 ebc (ebs is something i cant remember.)

I got the Gladfields American pale ale malt, and Gladfields crystal light malt. As recommend by All Grain, and I have got Amarillo Simcoe and Ahtanun hops, not sure which ones I'll use yet??

You probably cant go to far wrong using simcoe and one or both of the other 2.

You could use all three...
the Ahtanhum could be used 10 mins prior to turning outthe flame/power.

and use simcoe amarillo in flameout and dryhop additions.

a bittering charge at 60/90 would be a good idea, (I'm assuming you've already thought of this though)

To be honest this is my second brew ever and still working Sh#@%t out. HaHa. I am roughly following a recipe that calls for the use of Simcoe for bittering and flavouring and the use of Ahtanum for aroma.

It says bring wort to boil add the Simcoe hops for bittering and boil vigorously for 40min then add the simcoe for flavouring and Irish moss and continuing boiling for 20min add the Ahtanum hops and remove from heat(total boil time of 60min) it's an ABV of 5.2% American pale Ale. OG of 1.052 and a FG of 1.012

Doesn't mention dry hopping or much else, does that all sound good? It's a good book, check it out 

Brew Better Beer by Emma Christensen.

yep, pretty much. fancy posting your recipe upo here?? people will be happy to offer advice if required.

Cheers Cain
I will post the whole recipe tonight, do please check back later all pretty straight forward, I was considering swapping the Ahtanum out for Amarillo instead? And dry hopping a little too, when dry hopping what is the normal amount for s 23 litre batch? I am adding 42g to current batch soon of Cascade hops. Cheers and what is best practice for storing hops?

Dry hop is hugely variable even among hoppy beers

Yeastie Boys Digital IPA has 1.9g/L (0.85g/L Pacifica 0.85g/L Nelson Sauvin)

Ive been told by the brewers Batch brewing kingtide and Baylands woodrows veto are both well over 10g/L

Thornbridge jaipur has none

All hoppy IPAs

1.5-3 g/L seems about normal to me and your on 1.8 with your 42g so not huge but reasonable.

hops go in the freezer best vac packed but other wise sealed in a ziplock bag or other container minimal exposure to the air will help them keep well and stop the food in the freezer tasting like hops. I had a big bag of home grown hops and a bunch of good pies in those bags they put them in with the little holes to let the steam out, the pastry tasted like hops and not in a good way, pies went in the bin.

I think Jaipur not being dry hopped is just a myth.

http://retributionbrewing.co.uk/2015/07/08/10th-anniversary-jaipur-...

I stand corrected.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service