Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

This brew started of normal but has gone nuclear. With US05. 18C. The only difference I have made is using a new kettle agent. Brew Brite. Is this ok? Smells normal.

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks odd... sorry never used Brew Brite. Normally I would expect to see a solid krausen all the way up to the airlock. Is it blowing bubbles...?

Damn cool pic either way.

Yep it has been blowing bubbles. Just more loosely packed than normal krausen. Most is now falling back in - so hopefully all good.

That is some photo!

I use plastic fermenters that aren't as clear, but had a weird experience with US05 at 19 degrees.  The krausen looks a bit familiar ... but mine kept going for longer than usual,  Beer dropped clear and all tidied up, but still a bit weird.  Had two fermenters side by side, and one completed in 5 days, the other took 8.  

I pitched packets of US05 from Brewers Coop (they re-packaged that lot themselves).  Must have bought the yeast 5 weeks ago.

I get this with my starters some times using WLP001 which is similar if not the same yeast (I use kegs for primary so can't see in but it may well be doing the same in there as well).

Where are you taking your temperature reading from?

If your TC isn't taped to the side of one of the fermenting carboys with insulation over the top you could be running a good 3-4 degrees warmer than your chamber temperature (I think I remember someone saying at peak fermentation yeast can crank out around 1W/L of heat all on their own).

Thanks for the comments - temp is taken from thermowell in bung. I have also checked with three pro brewers today who all said - health ferment. Proof will be in the pudding (beer)

Cheers

RDWHAHB?

wow Pierre - I had to google that one - Cheers - yep I will have another  - thanks

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service