Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Sometimes even though its repeated on the net you still have to try yourself. I did two english bitters one with a Mangrove Jacks Burton Union yeast and the second with US-05. Basically everything came out as expected the Burton Union is nice but as the US-05 has highlighted the hops and not presented the malt at all, I am left with a thin over hopped brew. My question is, this beer is still in the fermenter and has finished at 1010 (OG 1048) is there a non fermentable I can add which would bring up the malt?

Views: 455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like MJs Burton Union in bitters.

You can add Maltodextrin which will add body in a manner similar to the unfermentables that you get in beer if you mash too high. It may ferment a little depending on the DE equivilent. It will add a little sweetness, but it should not be too much. 

Thanks for the suggestion Ralph.

What's your water profile? I am wondering if you could add a little Sodium which apparently accentuates malt sweetness at 70 - 150 ppm (as long as your sulphates are not too high). I have had a couple of brews go that low with US-O5. I like dry but not thin. A little sodium and raising the mash temp a bit seems to work well. Interested to hear what others might say. 

In Waterview which I imagine gets water from the Waitakere's. I couldnt tell you the precise profile.....

Probably the best thing I did to improve my beer was get a water analysis report and not just for pH reasons. A little Calcium apparently helps with fulness of flavour too. Anyway, that was just an idea. I bet Ralph's suggestion works.

thanks for the input. Any ideas on the quantity of Maltodextrin for  a 23 litre batch?

I'm just starting to think about water. Where did you get your water analysis done?

I was lucky to get mine from my local brewery :-) But I had looked into it and these these guys will do it. I can't be sure but think it will cost  $70-100. http://www.hill-laboratories.com

Ideally you want to know these things

Ca

SO4 

Mg

Na  

Cl  

CO3

Hardness 

Alkalinity 

pH

Thanks for the information. I'll look into it.

One way to figure quantity is to get a measured amount (250mls?) and add to taste or until you reach the desired SG on the hydrometer...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service