Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi guys.

Looking to get into allgrain brewing because I've come to the conclusion that the extract brews all taste the same. I've got a 40L chilly bin that I'm going to make a manifold for today. However, I only have a 20L aluminum pot which i think may be a little small to boil 19L in. Is there any way i can get away with it?

Any hints or suggestions appreciated. 

Views: 1014

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have tried so far     as luke said plus us / nz cascade versions

us cascade is way better.....     also gladfields pa plus a mix of gladies med/light cry

thats good as well,  it needs high carb to pop the hops and pop the bitterness imho if on keg, bottles always seem to carb better and some almost become too bitter after 3 months and lose hopiness....   I still dont think I have cloned this beer exactly when side by side bottles tho   I think adding 10G of southern cross at 5 mins could be interesting, I say this as the first deeble pa i did I had no mot but lots of SC and the sc / us cascade worked real well...    

I think one of the most important things that RD states is the grist    %'s

O.G 1054

4.4 kg Golden Promise

.55kg Caramalt

.36kg TF Pale Crystal

0.2kg Carapils

its hard to muck up with this grist ratio....  the crystal gives great body and there is nothing in the way of the hops shining through.....or look at the maximus clone which is basicall 95% pa 5% light crystal

Never used Gladfields.  I actually think we may have chucked in a touch of Green Bullet at the beginning...so wasn't a true clone, just the inspiration!

Oh man I bet the Pacifica was lovely in that beer.

It was delicious!

I made some for a friends wedding, but didn't get to drink much of it. lol.
I think I'll re-do it but with pacifica, sounds brilliant.

It all sounds a bit like gibberish to me. So I might just stick to what's on offer at Allgrain to make it a bit easier first time round. I'm sure I'll come back to this thread later on though. Thanks.

just have a crack you will be alright, do you have a wort chiller?

I'm going to use a friends wort chiller but I'm in the market for a cheep one.

yeah, I think the kits have instruction with them, so it'll give you a steer for the day, and help you understan the process.

Don't stress as peter says- have a crack. The first all grain brew takes way longer than you expect but just take your time. To get around your small pot issue you could do the full boil at the correct gravity. At the end of the boil you can add some dry malt extract to sterilise it and then dilute back to the correct gravity in the fermenter by adding water. I think the technique is called a partial extract brew method- its in brewing classic styles book. you wont be able the taste and extract funk. good luck

Try the Baylands clone, I reckon they are pretty close. Stress the word 'clone' last time I posted this I got in bit of trouble with Luke from Epic :-)

http://www.baylandsbrewery.com/store/clone-recipe-kit-for-epic-pale...

That's definitely a whole lot closer than the allgrain version!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service