Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi all,

Where is everyone getting their silicone tube from? The cheapest I have found is from www.hiq.co.nz @ ~$14 per metre for the 12.7mm ID 1.6mm wall thickness (1/2” ID 1/16” WT). I saw on the craftbrew site that they recommend this is not used for pressure or suction hose (and theirs was actually 2mm wall thickness).

I have also found a source in the US for 30 metres of tube working out at about $15 per meter for the thicker wall 1/2" ID 1/8" WT which is recommended by craftbrew (or $8 for the 1/2” ID 1/16” WT).

The problem is I don’t need 30m and getting it any shorter is not an option with the supplier. So would there be any interest in the remaining 20-25m of 1/2” silicone hose, the prices above could probably be inclusive of postage (if it was only 5 or so people to send to). In terms of timing it would most likely take ~2 weeks to get here from order, then as soon as I get payments I could cut it up and post it.

So is there anyone that would be keen?

Cheers

Views: 4192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just on the off chance someone is looking for a good (I think?) deal -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221058558280?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_...

I hope it's a good deal ... I've just brought some :)

Hi

Have a chat with the crew at your local De Laval supply.  They have a wide range of hoses including Milker Rubbers, Polyester and Silicone (all food grade).  9.5mm OD thick wall silicone was about $20 a metre but it last for ages compared with everything else (except maybe black milker rubber).  I use the black stuff ($8/metre) on my hot water and silicone for wort/beer.

I have polyester (soft) on my hand pumps but will change to silicone soon.

You do need thick wall for even a small pressure of hot liquid and so the hose does not collapse under the vacuum you can pull on a hand pump or crease easily.  The corollary is that if you are pulling a vacuum you will pull gas out of the beer - this means I will soon change to a large (1/2") dip tube on a special Corny keg lid - thick wall is still needed to avoid creases.

Cheers

Bought some 12mmID/18mmOD silicon from aliexpress, worked out to $NZ8.25 per metre delivered.

I'll report back here on real world performance with pumps/heat/pressure.

$8.25 delivered is a wicked price for the thick wall stuff. With 3mm wall thickness kinking, etc. should not be much of an issue. With the 1.6mm wall thickness you do need to be careful how the hoses are laid out but I have not had any major issue. Thin wall holds up to pump pressure fine, but will balloon with mains pressure!

I just brought a 3m length of this stuff http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12mm-ID-18mm-OD-12X18-Transparent-Si...

I just hit the 'chat now' and asked if it was possble to buy 1/2 a 5m roll and he talked me into a 3m length.

Only cost US$23.50 delivered (which equates to NZ$9/m). Stoked!

Cheers for the post Barry.

Same stuff as mine Matthew, I haven't used mine yet but I've made the hoses up and they look sweet as.

Also, if anyone feels inclined to do the same and purchase a small amount, I could do with another 140mm – I need one more hose for the CHERMs scheme I've devised. Within the next month, otherwise I'm just going to cut one of my existing hoses in half.

If it is only 140mm you need Barry, I could lop off that from my pump suction hose (thick wall). It's been in use for a few years so it has some colour to it but still good.

PM me your address, it should fit into a standard evelope right?

oops, 140cm. 1400mm. Sorry matt, I'm guessing that changes things :)

Hahaha, yeah a bit - that would be my entire suction hose!

ha, thanks for the offer anyway man, appreciated.

I'll probably cut one of my 1400 hoses in half, 700 is just enough for HLT to pump/MT to pump.

If you are only after a little bit that is the stuff (12/18mm) that Keg Resources NZ and someone on Trade Me sells $13/m not quite the $8-9 you guys have been getting but still.

Chur

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service