Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just started a BIAB of:
1kg UK pale
4kg golden promise
250g Dark Crystal

heated water up slowly til thermometer read 66.7, took the kettle off and set to rest. Went back 15 min later and the thermo showed 70. Panic, added 2L of cold water to bring down to 67ish.

Will this still allow a good volume of fermentables? total mash time will be 90min.

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One thing, are you stirring the water before you add your grain to make sure your temp is as accurate as home brew gear will allow?

I would probably try and hop this beer up a bit more than you were planning to cos I imagine the mash would have created some unfermentable sugars, and thus, more body... It could turn out to be a really wicked beer :o)
haha, yes I thought more hops might be in order (for the unspeakable...this is going to be off the scale). In this instance I added the grain at around 50 and heated up (lots of stirring) til I thought i had my right temp - I wonder if perhaps the digi thermometer from Dick Smith is not up to scratch....
Hahaha, more hops in the unspeakable?!?!?! You better hope there is unfermentable sugars in there aye ;oP lol

Try calibrating your thermometer and see what you come up with... I allways have a glass thermometer on brew day and use both of them, and meet half way between the two :o)

Whats the benifit of adding the grain at 50? Ive allways added it at my mash temp?

Edit : Im going to have to brew the Unspeakable this weekend I think, I had my last bottle last night :o(
i added hot water to my kettle from the tap...the last few times I have BIAB'ed I had my strike temp too high, so I figured adding the grain at 50(ish) and heating up I could achieve my desired temp perfectly.....grr. I also figured this might benefit the grain somehow...similiar to a step mash...
HI Guys. Just want to add a wee note here in respect to the temperature that you strike/put your grains in.
I have done both and by far and away I get the better results from striking at a low temp (around 55) than higher (70). This is because as the grain heats up through the temperature ranges is creates varied enzymes, eg. alpha and beta amalayze to name a few. It is not a bad idea to bring it through 45-55-65 then 67 (aka acid rest, protien rest etc) at about 10 degrees per 20 minutes.
This will make for much happier yeast, as the ph will be slightly lower, and you will have the right amount of simple sugars created. Once you are happy with the mash I also find it a good idea to 'mash out' to about 77 degrees, especially for ales. This will create a few nice unfermentables.
It will take some experimenting as some grains are more modified than others. I generally find german malts highly modified, and the 'local' grains (aussie pale & golden promise) medium.

Anyway, thats enough from me, hope this helps!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service